dcs puccini, chord red ref, meitner cdsa or nagra

anybody had a chance to compare any of these top of the line one-box cd players on redbook?
maxx2man
06-20-08: Arbuckle said:

"I am not sure about this new Playback Designs player. Seems as if one review (which may or may not be planted) is sturring the pot. What I do know is that it could easily be the ugliest player out there. So if you listen with the lights off and shut your eyes it may be ok."

There's actually three reviews by Mike Lavigne, Ted Smith and David Robinson(his preliminary, but positive). Mike has no ownership interest in the maker and disclosed his long term relationship. Anyway, there's no reason those three would say it was good if not. Comparisons are to Emm's best.

The pictures don't do it justice, it looks much better in person, not ugly at all.

The dirth of reviews is due to the very recent release. For someone considering purchase right now, then they may not want to consider it; however, most people making purchases of this dollar amount can generally wait a few months if this seems like something they'd like.

I'll be adding a review in a couple of weeks, but my comparison will be to vinyl and lesser digital components. Still, it may have some value to some.

Dave
Regarding the Playback Designs player- I received mine yesterday and am enormously impressed. My previous digital was the EMM Labs CDSA SE. player. The Playback Designs straight out of the box, with 30 minutes of playing time betters the EMM Labs across the board. Most noticeable improvements were- much deeper, better defined bass - significantly blacker background - better image definition and soundstage focus and depth - more extended highs, without ANY glare or edge. One would expect that with several hundred hours of break-in the unit will continue to improve in the above areas, among others that I haven't noticed yet.

I much prefer the looks, and build quality, of the Playback Designs over the EMM Labs. An industrial designer was clearly utilized and it shows in the much more sophisticated look and substantial feel of the PD. The EMM Labs is a cheap, thin metal box with rudimentary design. I have to say that the look of a component is of, absolutely, secondary consideration when compared with it's sonic performance. And, I would doubt that the EMM Labs player was sonically hindered by the design/build quality. That being said, I think the PD is a way better package ergonomically and visually. The transport reads discs much faster and the remote works alot better, as well.

I'm writing this post in my office, down a hall from my listening room. In listening casually as I type this what keeps drawing my attention is how un-digitally natural this player sounds. I can't wait for it to break-in.
the Chord Red Reference got the highest rating EVER from hi-fi choice. hasn't anyone heard it?
@Maxx2man , I hear it in Munich, it was a relief when the Chrod substituted with the vinyl (Continuum)......

@Dazzdax,
Chris regarding your question it depends on the cd collection or vinyl collection one has....if I had thousand of vinyls I'd invest in the best possible analogue and a good decent one box cd-player, but since I have thousands of original cds I'd invest in Scarlatti if I could.
For the moment the dCS Puccini transfroms my red book cds in what was promised many years ago...MUSIC, something that even my former Emmlabs CDSA SE could not do in such degree, so I could only imagine what the Scarlatti can achieve!
@ Maxx2man - Chord Red Reference got a mixed review from HiFi News (UK). You may want to check it out.

@ Kops - did you change from CDSA to Puccini ? How do they compare. I know that you were a huge fan of EMM.