Denafrips Pontus II Clicks Or Static?

There have been some who have reported clicks or static occasionally with their Denafrips Pontus II DAC units.  And there is a test measurement review of the Pontus II 12th on the golden sound website talking about the following:

"When DACs oversample, they can sometimes encounter a situation where the reconstructed/interpolated waveform goes above 0dBfs (the maximum possible digital value)."

"The Pontus 2 is susceptible to intersample overs, and unfortunately, in a particularly bad way."

"The Pontus 2 does not clip, but instead when a sample value reaches above the maximum, it ‘wraps around’ to the minimum negative value, causing a huge sudden transient which will be very audible and may appear as crackling/popping."

Has anyone with a Pontus II encountered this anomaly when playing CDs?  If so, can you elaborate about that?  I am aware that the Pontus II can be firmware upgraded, so if this is an occasional issue, it could be eliminated with an upgrade.

fastcat95

@designsfx 

Thanks. I have mentioned this a number of times previously, but Alvin, Denafrips' representative in Singapore, was always very communicative and helpful. However, the company itself has, in my view, handled this situation poorly, and the likelihood of a firmware solution at this late stage seems extremely small.

I was also a bit put off by the company's choice to continue to represent at least some of their DAC models as having NOS capability, when it was, and possibly still is not the case.

To be fair, I was broadly happy with the sound and build-quality of the Pontus, but with so many other interesting options in the market, I was happy to take a small loss on re-sale, and move along.

The La Scala sounds superb, though I recognize that some would find it to be lacking in features that are found in some other DACs. They are expensive, but I am confident that in terms of both build and SQ, I would not be likely to find anything much better, and probably at any price.

The other reason that I went with Aqua is that their elegant modular design would allow for fairly simple upgrades in the future, should I be tempted.

There was an interesting link provided by “Yage” in another Pontus thread relating how Benchmark approached intersample overs within audio tracks. He attached a link to their white paper within the thread linked below-

https://forum.audiogon.com/posts/2525335

Pontus ll 12th here with about 300 hours on it. I’ve never heard a single pop or click. Just absolutely beautiful, warm and enjoyable music reproduction.

I have the Pontus ll and have never had clicks or pops, but the slightest static can make it do strange things! Lights changing when you run your finger over the top for instance.  Anyone do the update? What changed?

I am burning in a new Pontus II 12th, and have also not heard any of the clicks or pops that have been reported.