Banchmark DAC3B vs. Denafrips Pontus II (12th Aniv.)

So I'm considering one of these DACs. They're about the same price new. Any thoughts on which direction? My pre-amp and amp are both Benchmark and the speakers are Reference 3A NEFES II. I realize keeping it all Benchmark is appealing, but the Pontus looks very interesting.

koestner

What DAC are you using now, and sound characteristics/improvements are you looking for in the context of your system?

@designsfx 

Interesting that the Pontus has significant problems with intersample overs. Benchmark has an application note that explains this scenario and what they did to fix it in their converters.

If using the DAC with a PC, a workaround is to reduce the output level a couple of steps in the music player or the OS volume control. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

@yage

That’s interesting. I don’t use a Pontus dac but was following the thread because I couldn’t believe they (mfg) would let that problem go on so long without a solution. I wonder if Pontus owners would have luck trying the same solution.

Post removed 

I have heard them together ,the star not mentioned is the Gustard R2R26;dac which is better then the both especially in bass and dynamics 

the way the circuit layout is it takes a 2.5amp slow blow fuse you put in a respectable power cord which applies to all of them ,the Gustard has good size potted transformer the other 2 donot for lower noise ,it takes a bit more current draw ideally put in a Audiomagic -M1 fuse it removes any image density and adds detail .it’s actually a bit better rounded then the Synergistic Purple fuse which is 

still very good . If. You are willing to upgrade the fuse and use say a $200 Pangea  sig mk2 using Cardas best Copper it’s a excellent value for the money .in our audio club we are within 200 miles or less of 5 states I have heard more then most shows 

just doa search on the Gustard if you buy the fuse ,writing facing Up or 1 withthe notch on the 1 on top . Give it a solid 200 hours runin  and very hard to match at under $2k and has multiple filters you can play with.