Banchmark DAC3B vs. Denafrips Pontus II (12th Aniv.)

So I'm considering one of these DACs. They're about the same price new. Any thoughts on which direction? My pre-amp and amp are both Benchmark and the speakers are Reference 3A NEFES II. I realize keeping it all Benchmark is appealing, but the Pontus looks very interesting.

koestner

The Benchmark DAC is capable of studio level output (+22 dBu) that maximizes the performance (i.e., signal-to-noise ratio) of the Benchmark pre and amp. Off the top of my head, I think the RME ADI-2 Fs and the Okto Research DAC8 can also do the same.

I have the LA4 + AHB2 mono with KEF LS50 Meta + KC62 sub. I also have the DAC3B in the system but only use it with a tube headphone amp.

I would not recommend the DAC3B over a slightly warmer DAC such as the Pontus. Though that would depend on how bright your speaker is. With my neutral sounding LS50 Meta I liked a bit of warmth. I used a Musetec 005 DAC and it was excellent. I sold the Musetec to raise cash for a used Lumin X1 and that is the best match so far with the LA4 + AHB2 + LS50. The X1 is in-between the Musetec 005 and the DAC3B in tone.

If I cannot swing the $$ for an expensive DAC I am looking to buy in Sept, I will buy the Musetec 005 again for the Benchmark system and use the X1 on the new Livingroom system (my original plan).

@koestner

please see the current thread on “Pontus II clicks or static” in the digital section.

What DAC are you using now, and sound characteristics/improvements are you looking for in the context of your system?

@designsfx 

Interesting that the Pontus has significant problems with intersample overs. Benchmark has an application note that explains this scenario and what they did to fix it in their converters.

If using the DAC with a PC, a workaround is to reduce the output level a couple of steps in the music player or the OS volume control. Not ideal, but better than nothing.