Banchmark DAC3B vs. Denafrips Pontus II (12th Aniv.)

So I'm considering one of these DACs. They're about the same price new. Any thoughts on which direction? My pre-amp and amp are both Benchmark and the speakers are Reference 3A NEFES II. I realize keeping it all Benchmark is appealing, but the Pontus looks very interesting.

koestner

Sorry, I forgot to mention the source to the DAC is an Auralic Aries G1 file player.

The Benchmark DAC is capable of studio level output (+22 dBu) that maximizes the performance (i.e., signal-to-noise ratio) of the Benchmark pre and amp. Off the top of my head, I think the RME ADI-2 Fs and the Okto Research DAC8 can also do the same.

I have the LA4 + AHB2 mono with KEF LS50 Meta + KC62 sub. I also have the DAC3B in the system but only use it with a tube headphone amp.

I would not recommend the DAC3B over a slightly warmer DAC such as the Pontus. Though that would depend on how bright your speaker is. With my neutral sounding LS50 Meta I liked a bit of warmth. I used a Musetec 005 DAC and it was excellent. I sold the Musetec to raise cash for a used Lumin X1 and that is the best match so far with the LA4 + AHB2 + LS50. The X1 is in-between the Musetec 005 and the DAC3B in tone.

If I cannot swing the $$ for an expensive DAC I am looking to buy in Sept, I will buy the Musetec 005 again for the Benchmark system and use the X1 on the new Livingroom system (my original plan).

@koestner

please see the current thread on “Pontus II clicks or static” in the digital section.