Streaming Services

Hello, Folks -

In an attempt to (somewhat) get with the times, I am incorporating streaming as a source in my audio system.

In my research I’ve seen that sound quality varies among the providers.

I’m looking for a provider suggestion. A service that you feel has high sound quality.

For the most part this would be for classical music. Some classic rock and jazz would be a plus.

I’m a fuddy duddy with my equipment and am not looking to change anything out. What I have:

Conrad Johnson HD3 USB DAC

Conrad Johnson Premier 16LS Preamp

Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono Block Power Amps

Vandersteen Quattro Loudspeakers

PGS interconnects

MacBook Pro

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much for reading my post.

Regards,

Randy

rbschauman

My experience is a bit different.  I have a McIntosh MX 123 AV processor in my main system.   It came with Apple Music built in, so it does not require a separate streamer.  I tried a Bluesound Node with Qobuz, and it was not as good.  I was also unsuccessful with Qobuz in my office, running through my Mac Mini computer, as it kept cutting out.  I discontinued my Qobuz subscription and am very pleased with Apple Music, which streams well through my Mac computers.  So, if you do not decide to buy a high-end streamer, and continue using your Mac as a streamer, I suggest Apple Music.  

I have a BlueSound Node 2i and use Tidal.  After I purchased my new speaker wires from The Cable Company, the sales person told me I should connect my BlueSound to my ARCAM using digital cable.  He said the DAC inside my ARCAM was better than than the DAC inside the BlueSound.  However, by using the digital cable I now only get 1/10 the unfold of MQA.  He told me losing MQA is not a big deal and my system will would sound better than using my BlueSound by itself.  If I am only getting 1/10 the unfold of MQA, does that mean I lost my high res quality sound.  The problem with testing which sounds better is the time it takes to switch back and forth the way things are connected fast enough to compare sound quality.

I was having problems with my ARCAM and the ARCAM rep came out to troubleshoot.  While there, he demoed QObuz.  I thought QObuz sounded better than Tidal.  Is that because QObuz does not fold their files in order to generate hi res files?  I heard the reason why Tidal developed MQA was because internet speeds were slow and transporting hi res files was difficult.  Perhaps this is why QObuz does not fold their files.

Hope I am making sense.  This is difficult to understand.  

My experience with Tidal, Qobuz, and Amazon HD is that they are equal in SQ.  I agree with the comments above that your DAC and Streamer need to be in the same league as all your other components.  Your choice of streamer may dictate your choice of streaming service.  The only streamer I know of that supports Amazon, for example,  is the BlueOs Node 2i, which is an excellent value for the money, but far below the quality that those terrific Quattros want.   Some streamers support Tidal or Qobuz, and some do both.  Amazon HD had the deepest library for my taste, but virtually no high end streamers support it.  Streaming is my only source and based on my experience, I recommend the best DAC and Streamer (separates) you can afford.  They both matter. A lot!

@Larry5729 - Qobuz hi resolution files are less processed than MQA files on Tidal. Many people can hear artifacts generated by the MQA process and prefer the unprocessed files e.g. from Qobuz. BTW Tidal did not develop MQA. It was invented by Bob Stuart, originally the founder of Meridian (along with Allen Boothryod). MQA is a form of compression which is unnecessary given the bandwidth now available for streaming.