Powered speakers show audiophiles are confused

17 of 23 speakers in my studio and home theater systems are internally powered. My studio system is all Genelec and sounds very accurate. I know the best new concert and studio speakers are internally powered there are great technical reasons to design a speaker and an amp synergistically, this concept is much more important to sound quality than the vibration systems we often buy. How can an audiophile justify a vibration system of any sort with this in mind.

128x128donavabdear

You are still very new to the hobby. If you like this type of research check out ASR, you will find many adherents there. 

There are very few on the ASR forums, in my experience, that are highly experienced in acoustics and psychoacoustics. I have noticed the odd person posting of some experience. It is a very small and specialized field.

There are very few on the ASR forums, in my experience, that are highly experienced in acoustics and psychoacoustics.

100% true, however they LOVE to wrap themselves in psychobabble and consider themselves experts (in their own mind at least).

Maybe @donavabdear could help them out, at least he would find a like minded audience.

BTW, you know who has a GREAT chapter in their book on the topic? Both Earl Geddes and Tomlinson Holman.

I think both you guys should get the THX guy’s book, even if it is familiar territory. Check out chapter two in this one. Read chapter five, ten, and twelve too, even though its a different topic:

Before being flippant with people's names like John Storyk, you may want to do a little research to understand who he is. He is not just another "studio" designer, he is probably "the" studio designer. There are not that many known designers, Suffolk, Manzella, Berger, Pilchner/Schoustal, but many would say Storyk sits on top.

It is not a matter of whose curve it is, it is a matter of psychoacoustic properties and conditioning mixed with physical properties of the room and speakers. You could have the same speakers, with the same room curve, but a much different sound dependent on the room acoustics.

This is where you are getting into the weeds, if you want a "Storyk Curve", build one, NP. Where is the link to the Storyk paper published in a peer reviewed journal citing his research?

https://wsdg.com/

BTW, you know who has a GREAT chapter in their book on the topic? Both Earl Geddes and Tomlinson Holman.

There are probably few books on speakers and acoustics I have not read over the last 20 years and I would not be surprised if not over 500 papers. Much of audio, acoustics, and speakers is not about right answers but right directions.

There are probably few books on speakers and acoustics I have not read over the last 20 years and I would not be surprised if not over 500 papers.

If you are "all that" give me links to what you have PUBLISHED in peer reviewed journals, I got google for the rest. I never saw a bibliography that cited @thespeakerdude as a source.

As for the gurus in the industry I didn’t dis Storyk and if his research helps ME improve SQ great, give me a link.

BTW, of all the papers you read did you get any catalogs? Did you finally get some speakers???

His website was basically a brochure online, give me something that is research.