Resolution Audio Opus 21 TRL Audio mod

Has anyone had him mod this unit? If so, what do you think of it? Have you been able to compare it to a GNSC mod? I want to be sure to get the most for my money.

Thanks-
128x128jtwrace
I have a Resolution Audio Opus 21 that I bought from GNSC and used for about a year before asking Steve to perform the Reference level modification. I felt that the Opus 21 "fights above its weight" in that it sounds lots better than other comparably priced players. I wasn't dissatisfied with the stock unit but after talking through the reference mods with Steve, I trusted him to proceed. I also knew that Resolution Audio supports Steve's efforts. GNSC and Jeff Kalt have a good relationship and I was persuaded to have GNSC modify the unit understanding that if something went wrong, I was unlikely to face Resolution Audio blaming GNSC and vice versa; those guys would cooperate and get any problem solved. Add to that GNSC's reputation for customer service; I plunged in.

The modified unit sounds great. I noted particular improvements in deep bass performance and dynamics. There were other improvements across the spectrum, including improved midrange. In short, it sounds more like real music.

Having no experience with TRL, I do not want to discourage anyone from dealing with an outfit that might be great. GNSC is, however, a well known quantity. I have absolute confidence in Steve and have had great experiences with him. You won't go wrong with a GNSC Opus 21 purchase and mod.
I've had mods done by TRL on a DAC and Steve at GNSC on the Opus 21....no knock on Paul or TRL at all, but Steve is the man when it comes to the Opus, don't think twice about having him mod your unit...
Could be guys that Steve won't mod his Opus 21! Couple months ago I bought from Steve an new 21 with reference mods and waited for the unit to be completed. Steve informed me that he was likely, in the very near future (this was late Dec. early Jan 08) that he would only be doing mods on new units purchased from him due to a couple parts he uses where becoming too difficult to get. So maybe the search is on for an alternative company to mod his unit. If this is the case, I would honestly wait til a GNSC modded unit becomes available and buy that over going with another mod company that does not have a developed reputation on a specific unit. Again, nothing against TRL or the Upgrade Co., both have good reps, but I personally don't want to be the test rabbit with a product that may not have any more value after the mods. vs. before. Unless the mods are great and many, many people use the same company there won't be any or much perceived value for a "no-name" modification. My guess is that either TRL or Upgrade would have to mod 50-100 units before they became well recognized on the Opus 21!
Just to clarify. We do still mod Opus 21's that have not been purchased through GNSC. There are some distinct advantages (warranty coverage and mod cost) in working through us on the whole package but we do still mod them if someone sends a unit. Parts to properly do these mods are indeed in short supply though, and understandably priority goes to units bought from GNSC.

Respectfully,
Steve Huntley