KEF's meta material gimmick?

Hi,

A thought just occured to me recently. Is KEF's Meta material just a genius marketing gimmick? I mean everyone and their grandmas reviewed the KEF LS50 Meta and they spent way too much time explaining the purpose of the meta material. I know white papers were published with conclusive results. KEF is beloved by the "measurements first" crowd so nobody bats an eye. The illustrations for the Meta material portray an intricate maze made of a some kind of gel. But isn't that just $1 piece of molded rubber? It's just a coaster relax. 

I wanna bet real money that the 365+ cork coasters from IKEA ($2.50 for 2) would accomplish the exact same thing. Cork is a great sound absorbing material. It's complex. Just glue that at the back of the driver. Mission accomplished? Am I missing something? 

128x128kokakolia
Post removed 

A lot of new technology in speakers since 2000 and a Renaissance of an old technology from the 70’s making a huge comeback.

I like the newer Diamond tweeters, even some of the beryllium tweeters. 
AMT tweeters are making a huge comeback after the Heil patent elapsed. I owned speakers with these tweeters/midrange units back in the late 70’s and they sounded very good.

I use a pair of LS50 Metas in one of my less serious systems and believe they are pretty amazing considering their small size. Not sure if the material is a gimmick, but they sure do perform and impress all who hear them. 

I just finished listening to Hania Rana's ESJA CD. What I thought was a poor recording with constant soft, scratching, nick like sounds turned out to be the angle she was playing the keys with on the first two tracks (a guess on my part) They varied in speed and were not always distinctly heard. It could even have been something she wore that kept making contact with something.

The more I listened, the easier it was to hear every movement she made, foot peddle pressure, leg moving in sync, music sheets being turned, even the seat ever so slightly creaking as she moved around on it (she plays on three different keyboard instruments while centrally situated). 

All of this is (I'm assuming) made possible by the clarity of the tweeter with that ARID device lurking just behind the tweeter's dome. If you shine a bright light near it, you can just make out the nautilus shaped vanes of the device. Amazing sound.

All the best,
Nonoise

I haven’t heard the Reference 5 Meta’s yet, but There’s more going on in the new KEF Meta’s than them adding the rat maze. The spec’s are different. They are slightly less efficient and the crossover points are different. My Reference 5’s are 90dbs and the crossover for the tweeters are at 2500 hz.  The Meta’s are 88db and the tweeters crossover at 2100 hz.