Best DACs under $7,000.00

I'm tentatively beginning the search for a DAC upgrade.  Currently, I have Innuos Zen MK3 as a streamer connected via USB to a Denafrips Iris DDC that is connected via I2S to a Denafrips Pontus II DAC.  The Pontus II is excellent but I feel it's the one point where I could gain incremental improvement toward that illusive natural, layered, analog end-of-the-rainbow.  I simply can't / won't spend above $5,000.00 - $7,000.00 on the DAC. The rest of my system:  top-of-line Prima Luna Evo 400 Integrated Amp and a set of Harbeth speakers.  Right now, I'm looking at Denafrips Terminator II or Holo Audio May DAC.  I've never seen an a/b comparison of these two, but both stand out and have a following.  Of course, the unsettling thing is DACs have evolved so much and are still in a blooming state technologically, making it a given that whatever we have today will probably be surpassed by better for less later, like electric vehicles. But that's the nature of the beast.  Does anyone have alternative suggestions in this current climate?

gregjacob

@ricevs I trust that modding this unit is going to have a positive impact.  It has a foundational scale to the image that is impressive.  Issues were with tonality so if that can be corrected....

That said, modding is not my business.  Going to be selling this unit.  

I stated earlier that dealers and manufacturers are NOT going to like this technology.. No matter how good it sounds with all the mods.......it is toooooo dang cheap to make any money off off. You cannot sell DACs, preamps, or normal heavy amps, nor analog cables and all the extra power cords and footers and racks needed. Manufacturers will be hesitant to embrace this technology because they have stock of their heavy big expensive things they need to sell. But imagine what a powered speaker would sound like with tweaked modules inside and digital xover inside.....OMG. Of course you can do this externally by using multiple amps and using a Minidsp Flex or other digital xover. For those willing to try something new......this is the Cat’s Meow. Run one of these modded things on a Giandel inverter with a modified Puritan line filter and have your own ground rod with filtering.....OMG times infinity!!!!!!....and you can make your own speakers so easily that will best practically anything in the world. What fun!

Your enthusiasm is great for you and for others willing to mod things.  You could resell these modded units or have people pay for you to mod them.  Great business for you.  But for those of us who have minimal interest in modding things, whether it be lack of familiarity to some folks who are nervous about soldering, etc... This is fools gold without modifications it is a fairly price amp that presents a good value vs its competition.  Not significantly better than other units available and when you take into account it lacks a volume control, it can just be a giant PITA.  

I may reach out to Peachtree and I would consider being a dealer but I can't see this amp being as disruptive as you see it being.  It needs to be elevated.  The technology could be extremely disruptive.  I am VERY interested in an elevated version of this.  Change will happen if it makes sense for consumers.  The market will change.  Those that don't embrace change will die.  Those that do will thrive.  

@ricevs

Definitely interested in the mods for the Puritan outlets and will be checking in to see how they are implemented...

Wig😀