Did vinyl sales just hit the proverbial brick wall?

Interesting read here about the state of vinyl. Personally, I had no idea what the percentage of vinyl sales was “merchandise” never to be opened or played.

https://tedgioia.substack.com/p/did-the-music-business-just-kill?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

128x128wturkey

How much can it cost to break out the old equipment and press a new copy of a record a company already has the rights to and masters for? I’d love to buy some new reissues on vinyl, but the prices are arbitrarily ridiculous. Even used CD prices seem to be rising of late. I'm surprised someone in China hasn't figured this out and taken over the market. With their cheap labor, and pvc vinyl and cardboard costing zilch, they could probably manufacture and sell old records reissues for considerably less than a dollar. including shiipping. 

Mike

I agree with @bdp24 that the article is poorly researched and draws dubious conclusions.

However, the vinyl resurgence will peak and start heading down soon. Yes, the boomers passing away will make a big difference. But it is also about technological progress in digital. CDs or even stored files were not remotely competitive on a sound quality / cost effective basis. That has been rapidly changing over the last five years.

Right now, in general, analog still wins in the budget and ultra high end categories. But in the, say, the $50K - $200K category, it is very competitive SQ-wise… and if you do only one and put your money on streaming, then the sound quality is better and the cost of music goes to almost zero, and you have access to millions of albums. That is such a value proposition that folks new to the high end would be crazy to ignor. 

So the writing is on the wall. It’s over… except for nostalgia buffs… the guys that do  Ham radio. There are still a few around… but not many.

Time will tell. But even if LP's return to a niche product level (even more so than some think they already are), so what? As long as they are available, those who want them will be able to get them. And there will ALWAYS be millions of used LP's, many containing music never made available on CD. As a side note: there are also plenty of albums which have NEVER been available on LP, CD only. Rodney Crowell's masterpiece The Houston Kid and he and Vince Gill's wonderful album The Notorious Cherry Bombs being two examples.

@mijostyn @bigtwin I go to a used record store every week and I never see anyone there over 40. It’s full of Millennials.