Maggie owners -- Mye or Magna Riser stands

just thought i would poll the maggie owners on here, which are many, to see if you have either of these for your pair, and how/why you chose.

looks to me that the mye’s maintain stock height but are more substantial for stiffening the speaker and floor coupling, where as the magna-risers do less of that (but still better than the wimpy stock feet) but they do raise the speaker off the floor for a sonic benefit

would love to hear a discussion on the pros/cons of each (or third alternative, if there is one...) -- thanks in advance for any input

ps - i currently am enjoying a pair of 1.7i's but may move to 3.7i's

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjjss49

@jjss49 … I realize this is an old thread, but I’d like to reply anyway. I bought the 1.7 and had them for 4 years, then upgraded to1.7i and had those for about 5 more. Two years ago I replaced them with the 3.7. I used Sound Anchors stands with the 1.7i, and use the MYE stands with the 3.7. In my system, the largest improvement was going from the 1.7 to the 1.7i. The Sound Anchor stand was a slight improvement over the stock stands on the 1.7i, but well worth the $300 IMO. Going from 1.7i to 3.7 was an improvement for sure, but the cost of that upgrade was large, and the improvement was smaller by comparison. The MYE stands for the 3.7 gave a slight increase in the amount of fine detail, but seemed to reduce the fullness of the lower frequencies… maybe rendering them tighter, but leaner. Years ago I replaced the 1.5 Q/R with the 3.3/R, and that was a huge improvement. Then I replaced the 3.3 with the 1.7… the sound was better overall, but the top and bottom of the sound spectrum had been a bit better with the 3.3. The broad mid frequencies were clearly better with the 1.7, so I chose to keep them. When I upgraded to the 1.7i, I got much of the highs and lows back, and the mids were even clearer. Moving to the 3.7 slightly improved the higher frequencies, and also the sound staging to some degree, but did not give me the increase in bass response I expected. That may be due to the balance of the individual speakers. I tried resistors in the tweeter and midrange positions on the input plate of the 3.7 to balance them better, but the resistors dulled the sound too much. I’m considering getting higher quality resistors to try, but for now they’re out. So I’m currently listening to the 3.7, and enjoying them very much, but I’m not convinced that the time, effort, and cost involved in going from the 1.7i to the 3.7 was worth it. To be clear, the 3.7 IS “better” than the 1.7i, just not “substantially” better. Best bang, for me, was the 1.7i with Sound Anchors. I could live with them quite happily. One more point: I’ve been using one model or another of Magnepan speakers for 36 years, and during that time I’ve tried other good speakers, but always craved the “sound” of the Maggies. Happy listening!

@krelldreams +1.

I've been a Maggie guy for years (lots of different models) but i recently changed my room around and Maggies won't work as well. I'm trying some Cone speakers that sound ok....but nothing as lifelike as Maggies. I'm thinking that maybe a pair of smaller stand mounts might help with soundstage etc. but that's a crapshoot and that costs $. So who knows...I might just live with the Maggies in a compromised setup.

@krelldreams 

thanks for your input

just so i am clear, you went from 1.7i to 3.7 (not 3.7i) correct?

i have both in house presently (1.7i as well as 3.7i) both on magnas... both sound wonderful, but as you can imagine, somewhat different

Hi. Yes, that is correct. I bought a pair of 3.7 (not i) from the original owner. I’m considering having Magnepan upgrade them for me as I’m sure it would be an improvement, however even Wendell Diller of Magnepan has said that the difference between the 3.7 and the 3.7i is very subtle. So, I can keep what I have, upgrade to 3.7i, or sell these and buy a brand new pair of 1.7i, Sound Anchors, and have some cash leftover to improve my streaming chain. What are your impressions, since you have both pair simultaneously? Incidentally, I kept my 1.7i to compare to the 3.7. I decided to sell the 1.7i despite the mild disappointment I felt with the upgrade. As I said.. They were definitely better, but they didn’t blow me away like going from 1.5 to 3.3 (as I’d hoped). All that said; they sound amazing. 

@secretguy … I understand where you’re coming from. In my previous house, the room where I had my system was kinda too small and odd shaped. Not ideal for large panels, but they still did things that the various box speakers I tried couldn’t manage. And those “things” were in areas of performance that are important to me. So out they went, and in went more Maggies!