Really Inexpensive Systems That Sounded Great?

I think there is a big difference between "cheap" and inexpensive. I have blown money on "cheap" cables and immediately regretted it when my ears started bleeding from the brightness in my digital components. I also don’t mean "bargains" like the time I scored $2000 speakers for $200 on Craigslist, that is basically luck.

I am talking about inexpensive (less than $1500) for a system that sounded really great to you.

I fell into a whole house audio system from DTS Play-Fi because I wanted to try and compare different brands. I picked up Play-Fi amps, preamps and active speakers made by Polk, Paradigm, Klipsch, Onkyo and DefTech all for less than $1000 a pop. For what it is, whole house audio/casual listening it sounds great.

What inexpensive great sounding systems have you tried?

kota1

A fantastic dac/amp out of Canada that is, absurdly.. only $265, and it can drive most speakers... the Musical Paradise MP-303. I have bought more expensive cable elevators (...and they were cheap cable elevators). I was the first customer to write a review of the unit. It drives NEAR 10m speakers ($300 eBay) in a near-field setup and sounds sweet, detailed, transparent, and images insanely well.

Add to that an Uptone Regen (or comparable), and plug in your laptop.

I’ve read people finding synergy with the Klipsch Cornwall, also.

Looking through this thread I think it is a treasure trove of matched systems for new members or people starting out in the hobby. The systems posted here may seem simple at face value, but it ain't easy getting system synergy that can really sing on a budget. I have already gotten a few ideas for my wish list.

I've always found that no matter the price / value of the equipment, proper component matching is what makes a system sound ok, good, or fantastic.  Right now, I have about 12 pairs of speakers, 3 tube amps, 4 solid state amps, a hybrid amp, multiple preamps of both solid state and tube variants, some equalizers, a few DACs and multiple different analog or digital sources.  Some speakers I have built myself from scratch, some I have modified, some are at manufactures spec.   Some of my equipment is fairly valuable, some is not.  I am constantly mixing and matching, trying to get the best sound out of each matching component set.  I must say, there are times when I am amazed at how good some of my inexpensive equipment sounds when properly matched up.  I am also equally horrified with the results of matching up some of my higher end equipment.  With that said, one of my least valuable, yet favorite sounding system consists of:

- Mistral MT-34 Integrated Tube Amp with solid state rectifier

- S.M.S.L. SU-6 DAC & LDAC Bluetooth receiver with volume control and remote control

- Schiit Loki EQ (to add bass)

- ZU Audio Omen Bookshelf Speakers

- Self made Custom interconnect and speaker cables