Really Inexpensive Systems That Sounded Great?

I think there is a big difference between "cheap" and inexpensive. I have blown money on "cheap" cables and immediately regretted it when my ears started bleeding from the brightness in my digital components. I also don’t mean "bargains" like the time I scored $2000 speakers for $200 on Craigslist, that is basically luck.

I am talking about inexpensive (less than $1500) for a system that sounded really great to you.

I fell into a whole house audio system from DTS Play-Fi because I wanted to try and compare different brands. I picked up Play-Fi amps, preamps and active speakers made by Polk, Paradigm, Klipsch, Onkyo and DefTech all for less than $1000 a pop. For what it is, whole house audio/casual listening it sounds great.

What inexpensive great sounding systems have you tried?

kota1

Thank you Kota1,

Schitt freya+ is wonderful preamp for the money. transparent, detailed sound w/o much noise. 

I have 6^N7 tubes in operation,;preamp  is highly rated in reviews.

I recently put together a 4th listening area in my home, due to the fact I had picked up a couple of pieces of new, inexpensive gear, and I was tired of the boxes remaining unopened.  Since November when I undertook this project, that system has received the majority of my listening pleasure because it just sounds so damn good -- or maybe it's the newness and my excitement of bringing a pair of my older speakers into use.  Whatever the reason, this inexpensive project punches way above its price-point.  The goods:

Polk Audio Monitor 10 speakers I bought new in 1987, still in mint condition

Boyuurange Reisong  A10 EL34 Tube Integrated Amp (tubes upgraded through Brent Jessie) bought in 2020 and just unboxed

Bluesound Node bought in 2022 utilizing Tidal

Fluance RT-85 Turntable bought in 2019 and just unboxed

Interconnects by Monster Cable bought almost 20 years ago and DIY Speaker Wire with 12 gauge wire and Gold Spade connects just purchased

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed listening to those Polk Audio's.  I know Polk is a "4 letter word" (not in the good way) to many in this Forum...but I love them and that's all that matters in my home.

@allenf1963 Nice, I use Polk s6 active speakers in my playfi streaming whole house audio. 1 in a bedroom, 1 on the patio, and 1 in the gym.

A fantastic dac/amp out of Canada that is, absurdly.. only $265, and it can drive most speakers... the Musical Paradise MP-303. I have bought more expensive cable elevators (...and they were cheap cable elevators). I was the first customer to write a review of the unit. It drives NEAR 10m speakers ($300 eBay) in a near-field setup and sounds sweet, detailed, transparent, and images insanely well.

Add to that an Uptone Regen (or comparable), and plug in your laptop.

I’ve read people finding synergy with the Klipsch Cornwall, also.

Looking through this thread I think it is a treasure trove of matched systems for new members or people starting out in the hobby. The systems posted here may seem simple at face value, but it ain't easy getting system synergy that can really sing on a budget. I have already gotten a few ideas for my wish list.