Phono Pre Gain

I'm considering purchasing a Audio Technica AT-ART9XA for a 1210g. I have a Sutherland 2020 pre that only put out 64db of gain. I've read that the AT requires at least 66db of gain. Anyone have any experience with this? Will the 64db be enough? I'm also considering an Ortofon Cadenze Bronze, but the price point of the AT is very appealing.

ecrotty

I have a PrimaLuna Evo300 amp, Fritz Rev 7 speakers rated at 87db. I typically don't listen too loud as my room is 12x13. From the looks of it I should be fine, I just don't want to be under and regret that I didn't get the ART9XI. I've just read so much good stuff about the XA.

Ask Ron Sutherland.

But be aware that total system gain (including the sensitivity of your speakers amp and line stage) is what really matters.

herb

@herbreichert +1. I chatted with Ron to make sure my Hana ML was a good match with the KC Vibe MkII. He was super helpful. And yes he asked about the preamp, amp and speakers specs. 

Ask Ron Sutherland.

But be aware that total system gain (including the sensitivity of your speakers amp and line stage) is what really matters.

herb

A friend emails Sutherland about using his VdHull and did not hear back for a month or two…
The response was something along the lines of, “It would not have been a good match when you emailed, but it is now.”

It is possible that the know what works with his preamps… in fact it is likely that he does.I would not let the opportunity to make the call pass by… but I mentioned that yesterday or the day before.

Ron emailed me back yesterday and said that it would be fine. So I guess I'm going with the 9XA! Thanks to all who contributed!!