Top 5 sounding cd player in the 1000-2000$ range

Looking for a cd player (redbook only). What would be your top 5 players in the 1000-2000$ price range.
acadie
Rega Apollo, Cambridge 840C...
I have both, and find the Cambridge having noticeably more low-level resolution, plus the highs are quite eye-opening. NOW, having said that, the Cambridge is just a little bit "contained," meaning the sound does not "jump" (as Harley pointed out in his review) out at you. It does, nonetheless have quite good imaging, sounds great on double bass, cello (I have NO idea what Hi Fi Choice said when they complained about the bass, especially given the review by the person who had it for a while varied wildly with their "group test," which, by their own admission, was several songs, played back to back: hardly an extended session, with the one listener who disliked it "by the 4th record"), sounds great on brass (sax, trumpets), very moving on woodwinds (especially piccolo, which has all the "bite" a piccolo has in real life without any brightness) and the flute sounds pretty classy.
The Rega jumps a bit more, has perhaps better dynamics, but I haven't listened to the Cambridge balanced. Oh, and harp on the Cambridge, as well as soprano (and other female voice) moved my pianist friend greatly.
I can tell them apart fairly easily, unless the microwave is on (TURN IT OFF! even if you have dedicated circuits, people. I have 6 (dedicated circuits) and I can hear [the grain] in the highs so easily it's not even humourous -- and so will you) or the 2.8, 5.6 gHz phones and other devices we (most of us)all have. Turn them off, too and THEN listen!!!!! That helps. I have Versalab Red Rollers on the interconnects and find that, with all the high frequency devices we have these days, it is easier to hear a component when the system's not being "poisoned."
I still like the Arcam FMJ 23: it had killer dimensionality and "presence" with a capital "P".
I love the Arcam fmj CD36. I have had McIntosh and many other brands, all quite good, but this CD36 continually amazes me with it's excellent function and sound quality. (Arcam has just introduced the CD37 which adds SACD).
What about Ric Schultz' modded Oppo 980 with the 32bit DAC and upsampling, running on a Supeclock, etc ? This the same DAC used by Alex Peychev in his 32K+ player. It should be killer. Check it out on his EVS website tweakaudio.com.
Rega Saturn
Modwright 999ES
Exemplar denon 2900
Cambridge 840c
Underwood modified Shanling
You should be able to find any of these used in your budget. I have heard or home auditioned all but the Cambridge and they are all very good redbook players.
After recently auditioning several CD players under $2500 and doing a lot of research (reading reviews, etc.), I would have to say that the Cambridge Audio Azur 840c (which is what I bought) is the best CD player I have heard for under $2500 (check out Robert Harley's excellent review in TAS). Also, I found the Marantz SA8001 to be an excellent performer and it's under $1000 (it got into "Recommended Components" under "A" in Stereophile's Recoomended Components too). It really shines as an SACD player but can also hold it's own with regular redbook CDs.