Inter Connects - What I know and don't know

I've been researching Balanced Cables in anticipation of adding a new pair of mono-blocks (Atma Sphere Class - D) to my system. I'm hoping some of you who know a thing or two about cables might help me (us) clarify or demystify certain assumptions.   

My assumptions:

- You get what you pay for ($300 Brand X will produce more detail than say $60 Mogami Gold).

- The larger the gauge the better.

- Crimped and soldered connectors are better than screw tightened.

- Two or more large braided strands are better than several smaller gauge braided strands (all things being equal).

- Silver conductors are better sounding and measuring than Copper conductors.  

- Rhodium, Gold, Silver, Copper, & Brass, connectors objectively sound different. (as opposed to in your system).  

Remember, the more objective your responses are the more helpful they'll be to a majority of readers. 

Thanks in advance for your "feedback"

128x12869zoso69

Objectively from my empirical assumptions  :

-silver wire conduct better than copper (7% more) -> better sound

-OCC produces wires with larger crystals and less boundaries between crystals ->increase in sound quality

-Silver plated wire tend to be birther than any of the pure wires.

-tin plated wire tend to be not as bright than any of the pure wires.

- wire diameter does not affect directly sound quality but changes the tonality of the wire because the resistance of the wires varies with frequency. A larger diameter wire will have more bass (lower electrical resistance in the low frequencies compare to a cable of smaller diameter) , hence wires are a form of ton control and serve to achieved synergy with other component of the system.

multi-strand wire tend to have a tonal behavior some where between the equivalent solid core wire and the corresponding litz wire because every strand is not always in contact with the other all along its length.

-Sound clarity, speed and low level details are function of the dielectric material used to insulate the conductors. Less dielectric or more air in the dielectric provides more details, speed and clarity.

Hence, when choosing an interconnect start with what you have and ask yourself what you want in terms of tonality: more or less bass, more or less highs and choose a cables with conductor of larger or smaller gauge than what is in your system. Then from cables using similar gauge wires (of occ silver or occ copper) chose the cables with the less dielectric material to audition on your system.

OP… “I’m curious what (if any) objective truths their are regarding cables, conductors, connectors, shielding, etc.?”

No.

Only generalizations like copper is warmer than silver coated copper, which is less warm than pure silver. But, typically this only holds for inexpensive cables. I can’t tell you how wonderfull Nordost Odin 2 heavy silver cables are… not bright at all.

Not much can add here. Usually hear lot of negative comments about cost of cables. But reading lot of good comments about different types of cables. Yes, usually get better as pay more, but clearly there are deals. Kimber Hero is on my home theater and is award winning, very good for the money and known for its bass. Definitely better than PBJ which is good, but edgy. Biggest issue is personal, fitting the right sound into your system. So perhaps use say cable company where can try out cables. Believe that is a credit system though. But definitely try to get trial periods which number of sellers have online. Be aware of burn in, though, controversial but I have heard it myself where cable is edgy at first and then fine after only 15 hours. Last comment, Nordost Odin 2, ouch, lot of money spent there. Have Cardas Clear, copper, but less expensive. But is difficult, many brands, mainly American manufacturers that you could test out. Might have to read lot of reviews, too, to get some idea of the different sound comparisons before you try cables out on your system.

While I have found that more expensive cables tend to have a bigger change in sound quality, I have not found that the change was consistently in a good direction.  Better to have a cheap cable that is neutral than an expensive cable that is too dark.

Also, a lot of cables which emphasize sound stage do so by darkening the overall sound.

Crimped/cold welded connections > screws > solder

There’s a reason why your 200A home panel is not soldered!

I don’t know if silver measures better, but using simple silver wire IC’s got me 100% off the cable merry-go-round.

Hi,

I took a look at your system from your profile and I'm thinking before you do anything pull those speakers out a bit from the wall and you'll notice immediately a change in the spacial imaging soundstage etc aspects. Ie. It should sound better.

Cables are highly dependent on a system. Better systems appreciate better cables. Yes all cables sound differently to the extent your system can distinguish them.

I'm not a big fan of the blue sound Device as the dac is not the greatest, but it can be bypassed so that's good