Analyzing DACs

As I am new to the hifi hobby, reading various product reviews and noting the details of the test environment have made me very confused.  I understand Stereophile is the hifi bible. In the publication’s DAC published tests the reviewers almost always tested the DAC connected directly to the amplifier. I think I understand why—nothing in the chain influencing the DAC sound. Is that the correct assumption? If that’s the case why incorporate a preamp if the DAC has a preamp section that is a common feature even on high end DACs? I’m in the market for a new DAC. I’m trying to avoid unnecessary components if possible. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.  

tee_dee

@laoman : ASR has also given thumbs up to four-figure DACs. The measurements made using the Audio Precision APx555 are comprehensive. Regarding problems with cheap gear there are plenty of posts here about expensive gear needing repair.

If you don't have a preamp, it cannot degrade the sound.

Listen to a DAC direct to amp at low volume and then listen to the same DAC via a preamp like the Benchmark LA4. There are some expensive DACs that are similar to the LA4 level of volume, such as the Lumin X1 with Leedh volume control. All DACs I have owned in the moderate price range were not good direct to amp at low volume.

"Regarding problems with cheap gear there are plenty of posts here about expensive gear needing repair" The only expensive gear I know of that got a good recommendation is the Tambaqui.
Are you aware that with one particular piece of equipment 38% of purchasers complained? You get what you pay for.

@laoman : that if I recall was the $349 Topping Class D amp. A new product. ASR considers the $3K Benchmark ABH2 amp to be the best in their survey. They rate the Benchmark DAC to be in their top class.