What CDs to buy

I never thought I would get a CD player but opportunity knocked a couple months ago and here I am with an Audio Research CD6.  All my CDs from 30 years ago are mostly music I no longer listen to much.  I primarily listen to vinyl and stream but thought it would be cool to have an AR top loader and maybe seek out a few special CDs.  Any thoughts on specific CD releases that will give me some renewed respect for the shiny discs?  

dhite71

Two phenomenal illustrations of what digital mastering can do to pull sound out of 78 records you'd never imagine possible are Robert Johnson: The Centennial Collection and the American Epic collection engineered by Nicolas Bergh. If I'm not mistaken the Johnson reissue was the first one taken from the original metal parts. The recent remastering of the Band's Music from Big Pink was something of a revelation, and a similar remastering of Stage Fright restored the album to Robbie Robertson's preferred sequencing. These are a lot older than 30 years, of course, but there are new things to hear.

Nothing really to add. I also buy CDs when the music is not available on LP’s - generally speaking. 

I did find this thread interesting in concept. As much as we compare LP releases, I never considered ‘is this a good company for CD cuts’. I think that’s because we assume the skill of cutting a CD is in the mastering. If the mastering was done right, whoever produces the CD using the same master doesn’t matter. I may be 100% wrong - but I’m OK with that. I have enough neurosis in my life - no need to add on. 

What kind of music do you like?

Almost anything by TELARC, MOFI or Chesky Records is going to be well recorded and high quality.

Cowboy Junkies; Trinity Session 8568-2-R

TELARC 1812 Overture / Capriccio Italien  CD80041

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (Legacy Editions) CK64935 or 8869 747627-2

MOFI Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UDCD517

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms 9 25264-2 or 9871498

Holst- The Planets CFM FW 021

TELARC Vivaldi - The Four Seasons CD 80070

Any of the Chesky "Demonstration Discs"

Lots of good classical CDs from Europe, especially Germany.

So far, the best recording to show off a sound system is a song "Nasty" by Vincent Ingala.

Any of the Steven Wilson remix's (Chicago - Jethro Tull - XTC - Yes) or any of the recent remasters of The Beatles, Joni Mitchell or Pink Floyd will get you started.