What CDs to buy

I never thought I would get a CD player but opportunity knocked a couple months ago and here I am with an Audio Research CD6.  All my CDs from 30 years ago are mostly music I no longer listen to much.  I primarily listen to vinyl and stream but thought it would be cool to have an AR top loader and maybe seek out a few special CDs.  Any thoughts on specific CD releases that will give me some renewed respect for the shiny discs?  

dhite71

I recommend the XRCDs from Japan, 24 bit sound of the RCA living stereo series.

The Bartok recordings with the Chicago under Frits Reiner are incredible.  I also love the Beethoven 6th on the XRCD label.  There are others!

Vinny

I should also add that I use a DVD sony DVD 999-ES (bought it for $139) player that was modified by Dan at Modwright in Oregon.  His modification (about $1500 in 2010) includes adding a separate power supply and output tubes to the DVD player modification.  I have used it for 12+ years and it is awesome sounding!

Explore Japanese press CDs. Lots of rare jazz titles not available anywhere else, exceptional quality, nice artworks. Could be expensive sometimes but totally worth the investment. Also CDs from Dabringhaus und Grimm label could worth your attention due to very good quality. 

When Sting left The Police, he'd already made a fortune, so his solo career not only features great musicians, but high quality recordings. They really shine on a good system----Nothing Like the Sun, Soul Cages, Ten Summoner's Tales, and Brand New Day are all great albums/recordings.

Here’s a few of my favorites:

Jacques Loussier Trio - The Brandenburg Concertos or Best of Play Bach

Allan Taylor Looking for You