What CDs to buy

I never thought I would get a CD player but opportunity knocked a couple months ago and here I am with an Audio Research CD6.  All my CDs from 30 years ago are mostly music I no longer listen to much.  I primarily listen to vinyl and stream but thought it would be cool to have an AR top loader and maybe seek out a few special CDs.  Any thoughts on specific CD releases that will give me some renewed respect for the shiny discs?  

dhite71

Physical media is hitting the shelves at thrift store from people who are streaming. My advice is hit the local stores and binge on CD's while you can get them cheap.

@tomcy6 I do stream a lot of different and new music but was not sure about purchasing CDs simply based on this.  I had been under the impression that there were certain CDs to focus on but am admittedly ignorant about CDs and sound quality.  

@vonhelmholtz Thus far with only about 20-30 CDs played, I cannot appreciate a difference from streaming.  Streaming has improved with the CD6 and Qobuz over Amazon.  I have found that newly recorded music streamed sounds just as good as vinyl, maybe better.  For example, buying Van Morrison, Ryan Adams or Taylor Swift's latest album on vinyl seems to be a waste.  Picking up a NM copy of something from the 70s or 80s though typically beats out the streamed version.  

@kota1 Makes sense....just wasn't sure if there were particular labels or anything to focus on or if it was just as random as vinyl regarding what release had the best sound

I listen to classic rock, blues, soul, R&B, jazz and a little classical

Yes there are certain CDs in those genres that are considered classic for music and sound quality, but you probably know which ones those are. If not search this and other forums for Best Classic Rock CDs, etc.or just ask for examples of those and you’ll probably get a bunch of suggestions. People like to give their favorites a shout out.

just wasn't sure if there were particular labels or anything to focus on or if it was just as random as vinyl

Yeah, it's just as random.