For the first time...

...my digital rig is besting my analog rig in terms of sonic presence and projection. This has never happened before as I've always been more focused on my analog side, letting the Oppo 105 do its thing. However, with some recent additions and changes, my digital side sounds much better and I'm uncomfortable with that. 

Analog:

• NAD 558 turntable
  • Hana SL MC and Clearaudio Maestro V2 MM
  • Hagerman Trumpet MC phono stage

Digital

• Oppo 105D BDP
  • Schiit Gungnir DAC

Amplifier

• Schiit Ragnarok 2

Speakers

• Reference 3A de Capo-i

I think the Gungnir was the game changer as it added a sonic presence and clarity missing before. I find my analog reproduction seems to strain more to achieve much the same signature and I don't want to jump back on the upgrade train in order to achieve parity. Blah.

128x128simao

Dear @simao : " with some recent additions and changes, my digital side sounds much better and I’m uncomfortable with that ""

You don’t have to mbe uncomfortable because for some time now digital already ( everything the same ) outperforms the LP experience.

Almost all anlaog lovers ( I'm an nalog/Music lover. ) do not accept thereality  do.

For the years to come you can be sure that digital technology will continue in constant new developments and improving when LP is just " stand ".

Digital is improving almost everyday just as cel phone or computers and LP just can’t improve, it’s at its limits at least is what is showing.

Regards and enjoy de MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

The LP - and magnetic tape - are inherently flawed. They both depend upon the quality and the material properties of a physical medium. Digital recording and playback transcends the physical by encoding/decoding pure information. Technology advances and the old methods get discarded. Witness aviation’s progress from prop planes to today’s jets. Next is the change in the automotive world from gas engines to electric motors. Film cameras to digital. Analog audio is on the same path of obsolescence. Enjoy what you have now with its limitations because it has a dwindling future!

@rauliruegas +1: I agree that the limits of what can be gotten out of the LP are here. 100K turntables with 10K cartridges into $35K phono stages are laughable attempts to achieve life-like sonics from a rock dragged through a spiral groove on a rotating plastic disk! 

there is no reason why you shouldn't upgrade your analog components for 10 of thousands of dollars.