Klipsch Chorus II or Forte II - Secondary system

I have a secondary system in my basement that's been neglected for years. It's a combination of Rotel electronics combined with a pair a DCM TimeWindow 1a speakers. They are nice speakers, but I really have no reason to listen to them when my main listening system has Vandersteen speakers that do everything better.

I've decided to shake things up a bit by going a completely different path with the sound of my second system. I want to go from the more laid back sound of the the DCM's to a more in-your-face rock sound.

I've narrowed my choice to a set of Klipsch Forte II or Chorus II's based on whats locally available and price. I'm looking for opinions from anyone that's listened to these. The Forte II's have a better bottom end, but the Chorus II's are generally regarded as a better speaker. My preference would be to NOT use a subwoofer.

Thanks!
mustangjeff
01-02-14: Shakeydeal
"Thanks Will. Are those Fortes in your system pics? They look small in that room."

LOL. Actually they are Quartets and I sold them last summer to a Klipsch forum member in Indiana. I loved them especially the "tiger stripes"(saw pattern) oak finish. I drove them up from Florida on our family vacation to Chicago. The $$$ pretty much took care of the fuel for the trip.

Bill
Congrats on the chorus 11. they were my go to rock speakers in the late 80s early 90s . With 101 sensitivity they really can play loud .

I had children and sold them to my good younger friend . Still rock out to them when I visit .

I had a Yamaha preamp and 160 watt Yamaha amp connected to them . They rocked but after a while the horns sound to harsh . By the way ,never bass shy with power . 15 inch drivers will push some air with 2 3inch ports .

With these classic Klipsch, you really don't need big power for great sound. Want to make people really scratch their heads while you stand back grinning? Get yourself a silly cheap t-amp. I have a HHLY that's 12wpc and only about h2"h x 3.5"w x 5"d. It sounds great and can hammer you out of the room if needed with my Forte IIs. With the t-amp and my modded Playstation 1 as cdp I have great sound at a total $137 in electronics!
I just got a SMSL SA60 class-D($80) that is 60wpc. (I know manufacturers can be a little optimistic when it comes to specs) So far I like the sound, and it is definitely more powerful. Its slightly bigger than a pack of UNO cards.
Some of these little amps sound amazingly good with Klipsch classics and for an almost giveaway price, they are fun to play with!