Help. System sounds thin and bright or harsh

Hope this isn't redundant tried to post in Tech Talk

Just moved my system to a new home/sound room and it still sounds harsh and a bit thin despite supposedly "warm" sounding Harbeth 30.1 speakers. This issue is not new and I had put the blame on the old listening room.  Can't figure out what the problem is. I listen loud at 80dcbl or higher and sit nearfield about 8 feet from the speaker plane. (sound is thin and bright from afar as well) I have experimented in both homes with speaker placement, toe-in and the like. Speakers are placed a lil over 3 feet from the rear wall and about two and a half feet from side walls.  I feel something is off. Perhaps a component or two that is known to be tipped up in the highs and a lil bass shy?? Also, I leave all solid state components fully powered up 24/7. (not the tubes)

System:

Modwright/Oppo BDP 105 disc player  (all mods with tubed power supply and pricey NOS tube upgrades throughout)  Looking to replace once the harshness/bright issue is nailed down.

Parasound JC2 Preamp

Pass Labs X250.5 Amp

Harbeth 30.1 stand mount speakers

Puritan Labs PSM 156 power conditioner. (less "edgy" sound with it in system)

System is run all balanced with fairly costly Cardas interconnects.

All input is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Happy listening.

cymivka

Some hopeful news...glad you didn't throw the baby out with the bath water:)

@cymivka 

You figured it out yourself! That's some good sleuthing on your part. As someone who has worked in customer service and support for many years I have found that my customers often figure the problem out themselves while we're on the phone. I somehow help them by just being available to bounce ideas off of and go over plausible causes.

@cymivka

Somehow I sound like the contrarian here, but I don’t wish to. I was just wondering if you don’t happen to have an old receiver or such that you can put in your system just to verify your findings that the amp is to blame?  I think that is the simplest way to figure things out.

I am sure you are right, but I would certainly want to verify my findings in a more solid way before spending $1,000s for amps that may not match the Pass and more for sending it in if by chance that it is not the culprit.

Now if you have the itch for new amps, full steam ahead.

Another update  and reversal.  Spoke with Mark at Reno HIFI where the Pass amp came from (x250.5) After telling me that the amp is likely not the culprit and describing what I SHOULD hear if something in the amp was failing. I finally hooked up the balanced outs from the Modwright/Oppo directly to the amp using the variable output for volume control. (many here had suggested that, Im just a slow study)  Much better, smoother but kind of laid back lacking a little in dynamics.

Then, per Mark, pulled out the stock power chord to the amp and disconnected amp from the power conditioner via after market chord and used stock chord from wall straight into amp. Better still, Parasound JC2 is now out of the mix...power conditioner still handles modified disc player.  Gonna pursue future upgrades from this particular set up.  Front end first, I think.  Still wondering if a better preamp might bring more to the party???