I feel bad for Generation X and The Millennial's

Us Baby boomers were grateful to have experienced the best era for rock/soul/pop/jazz/funk from 1964 thru 1974. We were there at the right age. Motown, Stax, Atlantic, Hi Records and then look at the talent we had. The Beatles, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Jimi Hendrix, Queen, James Brown, Rolling Stones, The Doors, Herbie Hancock, John Coltrane, Wes Montgomery,  T Rex etc. Such an amazing creative explosion in music, nothing can beat that era.

I feel bad for the younger crowd Generation X and Millennials who missed it and parents playing their records for you it isn't the same experience, seeing these artists live years after their prime also isn't the same.

128x128probocop

Sorry but you are dead wrong and stop yelling at the kids for walking on your grass. Every era has great musicians and bands. I think the talent that is out now is the best ever. Go back to our old days and think about the 1000’s of bands and guitar players we never got to hear because the only medium was corporate controlled radio. The access we have to the massive amounts of music today is unprecedented. Yes there are still the bull heads out there that will only listen to vinyl and that is their choosing. They have no idea what they are missing out on. Wont add streaming because it “does not sound like my albums”. Too bad I don’t want my streaming end to sound like records I just want it to sound good and it does! Don’t claim that new music is not good just cause you don’t like it the same you would not want anyone to claim your old music is bad just because they don’t like it. Music is the one and only thing in life that can stand up to time like nothing else can. Like what you like respect what others like but most of all enjoy the music!

The people I feel sorry for are the ones that are unable to evolve and continue learning and exploring. Most of the time we are unable to fully appreciate the era we come of age in until we have the perspective of years and the context of history. I’ve been to a lot of shows, and yes, there can be something about that interaction with the crowd and the collective energy. But for the most part they’re all a blur. And just to be clear, there were only a very few shows that I attended “altered”, so that’s not the reason.

Having hundreds of years of music at your fingertips is amazing. Having it catalogued and annotated and cross referenced is even better. There’s new music coming out all the time too. This isn’t meant to be a static hobby. You’re only shortchanging yourself. I’m envious of the kids being born today and all the new music they’ll be able to hear long after we’re all dead. 

That's the problem with boomers...and that's why Gen X has to clean up all the damage they've done. And I love the 'greatest generation' moniker...classic narcism! 

All good though...no generation is without its flaws.

I was born in 1967. So this Gen Xer bought records. Gen X sees boomers as sell outs and kinda greedy. Parents that wanted to be their children's friends instead of their parents. 

My ex was in the punk scene...she said it was finally a place where boomers just couldn't tread. 

We'll probably be judged harshly by the Millennials. 

But this post is classic boomer sentimentalism. Love it.

Apologies for the cynicism and saltiness...classic Gen X nonsense.

It isn't that I feel for GenX-ers and millennials because they missed out on some golden age of music.  I feel for them because they can't or don't care to experience the wealth of live music that we boomers saw.  Because there was no Tidal or Spotify we boomers had no choice but to see bands live.  It's those real performances of yesterday that drives my current attempts to recreate those experiences in my living room.  That for me is the frisson of the audiophile experience.  I suspect as well it's those memories of living performers in real spaces that drive other audiophiles as well.