How much should I spend on a new DAC

Hello Gents. What would be reasonable sum to spend on a new DAC relative to my current audio rig.

Speakers: Sonus Faber Olympica II

Integrated Amp: Pass Labs INT-25

DAC: Pro-Ject Dac Box S2+

Speaker Cables: Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire

Power cable: Kimber PK10 Base

Interconnects: Audioquest Tower

I must say I'm very happy with the music coming out of my speakers but It's obvious that the DAC is not the same league as the rest of the equipment.

celestial__sound

I have 1 DAC that cost $3300 and another that cost $14000 (but with built-in streaming). In terms of the DAC sound, I like both equally. The higher priced DAC showed me that the laws of diminishing returns seem to be very strong for DACs.

With my lower cost DAC I use a Sonore OpticalRendu (fibre) for streaming and that is equivalent to the built-in fibre streaming in the more expensive DAC. The oR can be found from $1-$2K.

Would anyone here with engineering background will bother to explain how the network streamer affects the sound quality, or can point to any research or documentation from the web? Thanks

UpTone-J.Swenson EtherREGEN ’white paper’.pdf (shopify.com)

John Swenson’s Tech Corner – UpTone Audio

This guy created the Optical Rendu too.

I use a EtherRegen from a network switch. A short Ethernet cable goes from the switch to the ER. I use the ER from B > A and the A side sends a fibre optical stream to my OpticalRendu. That goes by USB to my lower cost DAC. I have 2 of these DAC and selling 1.

My higer cost DAC has fibre built-in and the plan is to get a FMC (like a ER) and connect the fibre directly to the DAC.

The FMC is not a must but it does improve the clairity of sound a bit.

It is not just 1’s and 0’s since analog cables like Ethernet can carry network noise into the DAC. A glass fibre cable cannot carry this noise. Ed Mietner says the same thing on his web site. Switching power supplies like on a network switch also have analog noise, as does a computer connected to the network. I have all of this noise and more. However, I use fibre to stop it just before the DAC. It is so easy to hear the difference in sound. That is why I only use fibre for all my setups (4).

@celestial__sound 

Search and read the forums. Watch YouTube videos (Hans Beekhuyzen, John Darko), read reviews. there’s wealth of information available that explains the benefits of a streamer over using a computer to stream your music. 

Sorry to go off topic, but would anyone explain if using a toslink cable between the streamer and DAC eliminates or reduces unwanted artifacts from the power supply (switching in my streamer’s case) and other network induced noise?

What are the downsides to using a toslink versus SPDIF coaxial cable? I ask because a poster indicated that a toslink connection is inferior to SPDIF. My older modded Museatex Meitner DAC only has inputs for SPDIF and toslink so no need to get into other connections.

A plus if someone has actual experience in this area.

Thanks

Post removed