Don Sachs Owners Thread

A place to discuss amps, preamps, and phono stages from Don Sachs. 

I just purchased a like new D2 linestage. It has 2 gain controls, 64 step volume control, and digital volume readout. It is set up for the new rectifier. This is my first 6sn7 based linestage. It came with Ken-Rad Vt 231and gray RCA tubes. There are 3 rectifier tubes. A huge Philco 6BY5G, a Tung-Sol 6BY5G, and a Bendix 5852. There is also an Ice Age Audio power cord. With 2 different sounding outputs there are a lot of options. I need to find out what value the output caps are. I have the D2 connected at the moment to a VTL ST150. Input impedance is 125K and 2v in for maximum gain. 

I placed the RCA tubes in left front and rear and Ken-Rad in the right. Used Philco rectifier. Plugged VTL amp into output 1. The brightest sounding preamp I've ever heard. It was comical, bass drums sounded more like cymbals. Output 2 sounds like normal music. This surprises me. With 125K input, I thought there would be no problem getting bass response. 

Some questions.

1. Are the 6Sn7's in the right locations? I guessed by looking at the sellers photograph.

2. Is the Ice Age Audio the AC cord the brand Don offers as an option? 

3. I'll audition all 3 but which rectifier would be considered tops?

The linestage sounds amazing. 

Thanks,

aldnorab

aldnorab

@jackd what Linlai tubes did you have? I find the Linlai elite tubes to sound better than the nos ken rad vt231, now will they last as long is another question.

invalid and @jackd, IME your system is no stronger than the weakest link. OTOH, music is very personal, so weakest link is subjective. So, reviews of tubes are going to vary based upon the neutrality of the system, and the predilections of the user. I tend to error on the side of neutrality, or what I perceive as neutrality. I judge neutrality based upon music without electrical power as once you introduce electricity there is no way to actually know how an electric guitar or synthesizer is supposed to sound. OTOH, with a neutral system you, if you know cymbals for instance, you can determine the manufacturer. I don't know cymbals, but those who do can differentiate on neutral systems I'm told. Anyway, old tubes, 6SN7, or 7N7s historically have been disappointing in my system. The E-6SN7s by Linlai sound pretty good. 1964 and older 6H8C Soviet tubes sound the best. The DS2 has various output capacitors. Mine had V-Caps, ODAMs, bypassed with CuFT's, which are very transparent, aka accurate. All of this will impact the sound of the tubes. Ultimately what I like may not be worth anything to someone looking for different attributes and neither of us is wrong because music is personal. I know nothing about newer versions of Vandersteen speakers, but older ones buried details, IME, but while I hate that about them, others love it, neither is right or wrong, we are just listening in ways that appeal to us. The end result is pretty hedonistic IMO, so what another wants is subjective and is therefore only right or wrong in the ears of the particular listener matters. That said, the 1964 and prior 6H8C tubes with the square getter, IME are awesome. I haven't revisited my NOS tubes since several critical upgrades have been made to my system, but I am not expecting any surprises. This opinion was worth every cent you paid for it.

I’ll have to check out the 6H8C and try some time. 

I’m really liking these Ken Rads.  The 7N7 Sylvania I’m still trying to figure out if I like the Shuguang more in the output.  The Sylvania seem the be neutral or what I call transparent since a lot more detail is coming through.  More noticeable than the Shuguang.  The 7N7 can sound a bit forward with some recordings.  I don’t want to say they sound bright but the highs seem to be tipped a bit too much. 

I then did a test where I turned the gain for each channel one click lower.  Seems all the info I heard before is still there but the highs aren’t tipped to where it can sound bright.  

I don’t know much about the gain controls.  The instructions from Don says to start at full throttle so that’s where I put them. Are the gain knobs used for impedance matching?   Are others leaving at full throttle or do you lower to fine tune?  My OCD wants me to crank it back to full since that’s what Don recommended and I feel like I’m limiting what is going through. 

Hi rbautista,

I need to revisit the Ken Rads to be sure. They were necessary in the first version of the Schiit Freya in order to have a sound stage, and the oldest Raytheons were needed for tonality issues, but when I first got the DS2 they were not so great. I did 6BY5 rectifier conversion, and went to the ODAM and CuFT cap conversion as well as swappinge some Duelund wire for VH Audio hook-up wire, so I should check them out again.

@lous what soviet tubes do you have or recommend? Did a quick search and they are on the lower end which could be a fun tweak. VivaTubes has some for $13/tube. Are those the ones or do you have the Melz?