Relative Importance of Analog Components

We see people struggling with what to upgrade next, or where to direct their attention if everything seems to be working fairly well. I'm probably a bit more inclined to give more importance to sources and less to speakers than most people, but in general I like to look at which component is the 'rate-limiting factor' which one holds back the rest and then concentrate on improving that.

But to look specifically at vinyl reproduction, I have the strong impression that out of the four main components, they can be ordered in importance of potential effect on sound like this:

Cartridge

Phono stage

Tonearm

Turntable

I'm sure other people would list those four in a different order. How would you rank them and why?

dogberry

I look at the Cartridge/Tonearm/Phono Stage as one unit. They have to be considered as one unit to achieve the best performance. Modern systems are incredibly good compared to what we were using in the 60s and early 70s. The differences in the top systems are incredibly nuanced as compared to the top Speaker/Room systems which can be night or day. 

You can get excellent sound from  a cartridge/phono stage with a modest but well designed turn table/arm IF it is set up properly in the first place and maintained. IMHO vinyl is not plug and play. It in itself can/should be a hobby if you really want the great sound that a vinyl system can produce. 

I’d want the best turntable I could afford to start with even if compromising on the rest, I don’t want to be changing it very often, I don’t mind swapping in a better arm and particularly cartridge later, though sometimes the arm choice is more or less dictated by it as with the Regas and Well Tempereds.

I’d add set up to the list, particularly when the cartridge has an advanced stylus shape but even with a spherical stylus it’s worth putting in some effort.