Grimm MU1 Streamer - Really "The Best"?

I've recently become interested in the Grimm MU1.  While reviews of top end players from Innuos, Aurender and Antipodes and others are typically all very positive, the tone of the many pro reviews of the Grimm MU1 go far, far beyond, with some reviews resorting to using superlatives and gushing of positive system transformation and not being able to stop listening to material, etc..  HiFi Advice and Steve Huff (actually calls it "magic") have such reviews.

Given the delay in availability of the Innuos Pulsar which I'm told will be better than my current Zenith Mk3 + PhoenixUSB reclocker, I am interested in replacing my streaming setup with a one-box solution that includes a high-precision clock.  The new streamer will continue to feed my Gryphon Diablo 300's DAC module, which I have no interest in replacing.

I'm actually a fan of Innuos, after they improved the sound of my Zenith with firmware updates and after I added their PhoenixUSB reclocker. I appreciate this commitment to improving sound quality which is why I was so interested in the Pulsar.

The trigger for considering an upgrade is not for improved sound, but rather, to solve some issues I have with too many Audioquest power cords coiled and clumped together. I will get to lose one of them and one of my USB cords with a one-box streamer. I've noticed my sound is very sensitive to positioning of my AC cords and find I often need to re-adjust the PC feeding my amp to get proper sounding vocals at center stage.  One of my subs also seems to be picking up AC noise when the crossover is set above 60Hz. The second trigger is simply system simplification, removing one box.  All that said I don't really have any complaints regarding sound, and the PhoenixUSB reclocker truly did improve the sound of my Zenith.

While the Grimm MU1 has it's 4X upsampling up it's sleeve with reviewers absolutely glowing over this feature and it's extreme ability to separate tones to the left, right, front, and back far better than the rest, I don't see that Grimm has gone to any lengths with regard to power supply management in the way other brands do including Innuos. The MU1's ultra-simplistic interior doesn't bug me, but the lack of transformers and power management makes me wonder....

Are there any updates from folks who have directly compared the MU1 vs similarly classed streamers from the competition?  Did you find it to be as revelatory as the pro reviewers found it? And, how does it compare to other streamers with it's 4X upsampling disabled?  Does it sound like it suffers from it's lack of power management?  I do see that the clock should be very good...

nyev

Understand @lordmelton. I suppose we each have differing sensitivities and I get it. By the way, I checked out your system and you have some great gear! I owned several of Steve’s pieces, Empirical Audio, over the years. Also, the VRE-1 preamp is spectacular!

@ghasley , I would say that Audioquest Diamond and Valhalla 2 USB cables are revealing - not sure if I would agree they are bright?  Maybe.  Rightly or wrongly, my goal is to have my amp and DAC provide a touch of warmth, which the Gryphon does, and have all of my cabling be as revealing as possible.  Rather than the cable adding it’s own character or masking things over. 

@grannyring My system hasn't been updated for a long time, but yes Steve McCormack is a fantastic guy and my VRE has been wonderful and will be getting Steve to work his magic on it again soon.

@nyev As I said above, everyone has their sweet spot when it comes to cabling. I mentioned in another post that I preferred Vodka to Diamond in AQ ethernet cables. But I prefer Network Acoustics ethernet to Audioquest so there’s that. I also didn’t say that Valhalla or Diamond were bright, I communicated that they weren’t warm. I’ll admit that its parsing words, a difference without a distinction.

We can all agree that cable A enhances some things with DAC A, depending on our goals. Room acoustics have as much to do with it as the gear. I have a friend to whom I sent my Shindo amp/preamp and A23 interconnects that he found bright. Holy heck, never heard anyone think Shindo was bright but it turned out his room needed acoustical treatment. In short, you have to admit that very few in our hobby have dropped in Valhalla to achieve warmth…to many they are the epitome of neutrality, to others they are lean. Many believe their version of neutrality is “meat on the bones” while others think thats too warm. Horses for courses and the only opinion you have to respond to is yours. No one besides you understands what is happening in your room, with your gear, your dac, your wire and most importantly, your desires.

@ghasley , I agree with all of your points. My Valhalla 2 speaker cables don’t seem to constrain the midrange warmth of my Diablo amp and DAC, but they most certainly don’t add warmth. I found that the Valhalla 2 USB and power cords do however attenuate bass vs Audioquest, unlike the Valhalla 2 speaker cables. Had this not been the case I would have gone full Valhalla 2 throughout.

My desired balance is to have a fuller, solid, fleshy and well-grounded bass and mid, but with ambience, air and transparency through the entire band, including high frequencies, all with crisp leading-edge emphasis but not at the expense of the rest of the tones. Have I achieved that? Not 100% sure actually! I could use a touch more “groundedness” (if that makes sense) in the mids maybe, and maybe touch more confidence and transparency in the higher frequencies. Maybe my exploration of network players/servers will help with that.

I did read one single person’s characterization (so grain of salt and all that) of the Innuos sound to be “the closest thing to a concert hall experience” as a differentiation from other players. That description to me doesn’t quite jive with my objectives noted above, and I do actually think that concert hall description may apply to my system’s current sound to some degree. Vocals are quite far back in the mix and my system does set you back from the soundstage quite a bit. This is distinctly the opposite of how people describe the Diablo, which is often described as a “front row” presentation. Maybe if this person is right I will lose that concert hall effect changing out the player. We’ll see.  But it also could be more my speakers than anything.