What Does It Take To Surpass A SME V?

Thinking about the possibility of searching for a new tonearm. The table is a SOTA Cosmos Eclipse. Cartridge currently in use is a Transfiguration Audio Proteus, and it also looks like I will also have an Ortofon Verismo if a diamond replacement occurs without incident. 

The V is an early generation one but in good condition with no issues. Some folks never thought highly of the arm, others thought it quite capable. So it's a bit decisive. 

The replacement has to be 9 to 10.5 inches. I have wondered if Origin Live is worth exploring? Perhaps a generation old Triplanar from the pre owned market?

Any thoughts on what are viable choices? 

neonknight

Ok. You’re perfect. But I have no idea why you think someone threw you under a bus (which is a horrible metaphor). You did concoct a long unflattering post about BD . I wondered whether that inspired Mijostyn, and that’s all there is to it.

I thought I made it known a Idler Drive is not the only TT with Two Bearing Spindles, of which one is found in a Motor and the Other Attached to a Platter.

I also thought I shared the issues that 'do arise' from the Two Spindles used on a Belt Drive TT and how some, 'not all' measures are put in place to attempt to manage the impact on the system of the Two Spindles working in conjunction with each and coupled by a Belt formed from a variety of material types.

As said, there is a lot of design, that can be put in place for a Belt Drive, as a means to control unwanted conditions inherent to the design in general.

How far these designs are to go will escalate the costs, especially when one is to buy into the philosophies of Certain Brands for the creation of their most engineered designs.

I do not see such extremes needed to control the Idler Drive, and there is plenty of Money available to create a Market Place for a substantially over engineered Idler Mechanism, they do not require the same engineering to optimise them as a Belt Drive has proven to require.

As said, I have today chosen to go for a DD TT, that has been given a specific material for its plinth, when in use, there is as a result of the Drive a cogging issue, that many will say is something that is to be of a concern.

I am yet to experience anything that is noticeable from the drive method, that is a detractor and leaves something extra wanting to be present.

This positive outcome may be due to the work the EE/Engineer who carried out work on the DD TT, producing a a Modified Speed Control Design, and the improvements made to the Platter Bearing.        

Belt Drives in General have Two Bearings.

One utilised to Mount and Rotate the Platter, and one to supply a Lateral Force for a Coupling (Belt ) to rotate the Platter at a required Speed.

Two Spindles in use that can’t be set into their housings, that are not making a tight fit, as this will create a friction, which will be a unwanted impediment to the desired function of the Spindles.

Two Spindles with a looseness that can create their own eccentric rotation, when rotating independent from each other.

Idler Drives and Direct Drives have lesser concerns overall, and they have developed their own fanbase for these reasons.

I thought I made it known a Idler Drive is not the only TT with Two Bearing Spindles, of which one is found in a Motor and the Other Attached to a Platter.

I’m surprised that after all those years of studying turntables, you haven’t worked out that idlers have 3 sets of bearings, platter, motor & idler wheel, most of them wonky in vintage TT’s.

By your own standards you should be using a direct drive.

I only attempt to have input on this forum with a content that may be beneficial to an individual who stumbles on threads are a later time, whilst making a investigation into a Topic of Interest.

I would like to think there are explanations supplied of experiences encountered that by myself that are reasonable. I would like to think the content belonging to suggestions made by myself are reasonable.

I don't do much to steer a person from attaining their own experiences of all areas of HiFi, I regularly suggest the taking up the hot seat as the very best place to make a evaluation, and make it known, this is the method requiring the footwork, as usually the mountain won't be coming.  

As a onlooker and a contributor to a Thread that is running live within the analog forum on the Gon.

It is a task to contribute and not get caught up in the endless rounds of P***ing Matches that quite often show, as the, 'same old-same old' migrates across the relevant threads, fade away as the thread becomes a spent threads and resurface with Gusto at the next available opportunity.

As said, for me it is the enjoyment of the music 'first',  equipment (tools) to produce the replays of recorded music 'second', and learning about the betterment for the functioning of the Tools 'third'. 

For the bulk of music heard today, Alexia is just fine, music at the command of a voice, in the Company of my Wife, pure Bliss.

Then there are the musical encounters on the Home System of which CD is quite a substantial period of allocated time and the Vinyl LP is maybe just a little more used.

Then there are the Social Gathering put in place solely for likeminded types to spend a period enjoying in a shared Musical Encounter.

Social Gatherings with a agenda to encounter New Experiences, where the Tools to be used to aid the replay of recorded music are to the most present, New Devices made available for Assessment , DAC's, Streamers, CDT's, CDP's, Phonostages, Pre, Power and Integrated Amplification. Turntables, Tonearms, Cart's, Cables and HiFi Phoo.

Most importantly all done with an Open Mind and no prejudice towards any methods under demo'.   

I use what I use, but I experience a whole lot more than I restrict myself to using. 

As an update after resetting the cartridge on the SOTA I have decided to stick with the SME V and Proteus on this table. 

However, I have the Ortofon Verismo I am receiving back from VAS. Actually, that showed up yesterday, and last night I installed it on a Dynavector DV505 on my Scheu table. Absolutely beautiful cartridge, the best I have heard here, and not sure I can really ever do better. This is a keeper. Which led to other decisions. 

Poking around on the used market I found a Schroder CB-1L tone arm that was basically in new condition. Owner had put it ona  refurbished Garrard 401 and found out he was not an idler guy. The new table won't accept the arm so I was able to buy it in as new condition for a very very attractive price. 

After completing the transaction, I realized I overlooked one important thing. The arm has XLR terminations on the tone arm cable. My phono stages are RCA inputs. So I am going to have to deal with that. I have used XLR to RCA adapters in the past and the ones I had were not good. Perhaps the Cardas ones are an option. The other choice I have is a different phono stage, and I am finding that XLR inputs are quite difficult to find. The third option is to have the cables re-terminated, and that is not an appealing one to me, I hate modifying equipment from this original design.  The one I am considering is a B.M.C. MCCI Signature. I don't know if I have ever sat down and got extended listening time with a current injection design. So, it is intriguing. 

So that is the update.