Ultimate stereo nightmare

I have a complex stereo system, having accumulated many various components through the years. I also have an impenetrable jumble of wires.  Until now I’ve been able to deal with problems that arose. Now that I am elderly I can’t easily get down on the floor to assess things. I bought and installed new very expensive speaker cables (Audioquest Robin Hood), and subsequently found that my right channel was not working. After switching cables, the right channel was still not working. So the problem is somewhere in the system.  I don’t know if it’s a loose cable or something else and have no way of tackling the jungle of wires to check it out. 
I hired a company that claims they deal with these things, but there’s such complexity I don’t know whether they can deal with it.

128x128rvpiano

To the OP: you attribute this to your failings of age and you forget that this isn’t uncommon if you are an audiophile. If you find it difficult to crawl around and sort out a cable mess or noise within your system, you need to find somebody who is technically inclined, respects good equipment, and has a detective’s ability to find the culprit.

I’m in a location now which is not gear heavy- most of the techs in Austin Tx are about repairing instrument amplification, not hifi. Some of them are afraid of dealing with hi-ticket stuff and won’t do home visits. You need to find the "right" person, wherever you are. I found a guy only a couple miles away who was extremely knowledgeable of pre-WWII tube gear and ’78s. I was totally comfortable having him work on my more modern tube gear and system, which clones the pre-War era-horns, SETS, main source is vinyl, which didn’t really exist until later. You can get it sorted.

The question is whether this is too much bother. You won’t get much return on selling to a dealer and buying new stuff- people seem OK with retail Internet. Man, it was the casbah when I was in acquisition mode, and I didn’t have to "hondle" or negotiate. Find the right competent dealer (rare) and they can help without gouging you.

Did you say where you are, geographically? I think even NYC, which was at one time heavy with audiophile retail, isn’t what it once was. You’ll need to do some research and talk to some peeps wherever you are to find a solution to the immediate problems and a long term solution.

My long term solution is: I die, the crap  gets sold. Period. The records are probably worth as much as the gear, maybe more.

Was the tech you hired successful? Can we get an update? Your post is a friendly reminder to plan ahead...

Good luck Richard, here’s what I did in your situation. One approach , I took the system apart and cleaned and treated all the cables, components, tubes, and tube sockets with Deoxit. This took a full day. Then I pulled the rack away from the wall and removed the sheeting that covered the back side. I then reassembled everything away from the wall minus the tv and power amp ( weight ). Then someone helped me and we moved it back against the wall. Put the tv back on top and slid the amp onto the shelf. The second time I wanted to tear it down , it was easy as the back had been previously removed. Also with the back removed it’s a big plus when I’m running a tube amp and not SS. I’ll text you a photo of the current setup.  Regards, Mike B , Ca.