If you had $12k / £10k to upgrade your analogue front-end...

Hi all,

I am upgrading my system in my listening room bit-by-bit. This room is for focused listening of music only. No movies. In the future I will be looking looking to upgrade my analogue front-end and am thinking of a budget of around $12k / £10k for a turntable, tonearm, cart and phono stage/pre-amp. I listen to all sorts of music from electronic, bass-heavy vinyl, jazz, hip-hop, rock (new and old), ambient (Cinematic Orchestra, Nils Frahm etc...) and lots of soul/funk type tracks. So quite varied.

If you had $12k/£10k to spend, what combination of turntable, tonearm, cart and phone stage/pre-amp would you go for? I'm looking for suggestions to help with my research. I'm unsure what the balance should be between them. For example, should I go for a Rega Planar 10 with Aphelion 2 cart (£6,840) and give myself just over £3k to spend on a phono stage. Or spend less on the cart (Rega Planar 10 with Apheta 3 is £4,950) and get a more expensive phono stage.

Turntable brands I've been thinking of are Rega, Clearaudio, Technics, VPI, AVID, Thorens, Michell Engineering, VPI, SME etc... but don't really know where to start.

Any help would be much appreciated.

cainullah

cannula:

I was suggesting starting with a new/different cartridge (only) fo a start.

A cartridge with a bit more detail and jump factor may be all you need.

Your TT is reviewed as being slightly smoother than typical non-suspended decks in its price range and above (not a bad thing) and your cartridge is reviewed as being somewhat "static" sounding (probably not a great match as you are looking for a more exciting sound).

It’s easier (less confusing) to change one thing @ a time and sometimes that one thing is all that’s needed.

Years ago I was looking @ new TT’s and CD decks because I was not happy with the bass/mid-bass of the one’s I’m still using.

The Thorens/SME had a hollow/reverb quality and the CAL (CD) was a bit thick/mushy.

During the course of the search I added a couple of after market custom shelves (ordered months before) to my rack for the source gear.

Doing so remedied what I disliked about the sound of both and I ended up keeping them (the improvement was so great on the CD deck that I ended up selling the DAC I was using as I discovered that with the new shelf I preferred the sound of the internal DAC).

Changing one thing (the shelf) was all that was necessary.

DeKay

@dekay Gotcha. This makes perfect sense and could actually be a really good interim solution. Any advice on a cart I should look at that would go with my table, tonearm and the Moon Ace?

Sorry no...

The last time I listened to newer cartridges was around 2010 and they were a couple of inexpensive Denon MC's popular @ the time.

I have 20 year old Grado Prestige Silver/Gold bodies, an old lackluster Ortofon 15 something which sounds similar to the Shure V15 MkIV mistake and an excellent sounding (but ancient) Pickering V15.

I require very high output due to the way my line/phono preamps and power amps are configured.

I have an old EAR 834 hi-gain phono preamp which would remedy such, but it needs some work that I've never gotten around to.

I've found pro reviews of the MP-500 interesting (in regard to breaching the MM/MI/MC barriers), but there are many choices out their.

The MP-500 is "said" to have some of the attributes of better MC's, but it also has a user replaceable stylus for approx. half the price of the full monty.

DeKay

A suggestion. A step-up transformer for a moving coil cartridge is a ridiculously easy way to get into DIY.

The finished boxes that you see often contain little to nothing more than a raw step-up transformer or two (Sowter (UK) makes a good one, Lundahl (Sweden) makes many good ones, and there are others that I haven’t tried) which cost maybe 200 - 300 GBP. Add some inexpensive connectors (XLR from Neutrix, RCA from Switchcraft) and a box, and mount the parts in the box, and you have something which competes with the big boys. You don’t need to switch them - it’s better if you don’t - just follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for hook-up and you’re done.

Most people think, OMG, it’s magic, the pros know all this stuff that I don’t, so I can’t do anything. This is a mistake. The pros do know lots of things, and one of them is, that manufacturers give detailed instructions on the use of their equipment. They are often called ’Application Notes’.

A pro would never think of using something like a transformer without looking at an application note, or at least an explanatory drawing (called a ’schematic’). Why not call up Sowter, explain that you want to build a SUT for a MC, and ask for their advice? I found them very helpful when I did that 10 years ago.

What have you got to lose? Are they going to take away your corner office?