What Does It Take To Surpass A SME V?

Thinking about the possibility of searching for a new tonearm. The table is a SOTA Cosmos Eclipse. Cartridge currently in use is a Transfiguration Audio Proteus, and it also looks like I will also have an Ortofon Verismo if a diamond replacement occurs without incident. 

The V is an early generation one but in good condition with no issues. Some folks never thought highly of the arm, others thought it quite capable. So it's a bit decisive. 

The replacement has to be 9 to 10.5 inches. I have wondered if Origin Live is worth exploring? Perhaps a generation old Triplanar from the pre owned market?

Any thoughts on what are viable choices? 

neonknight

@whart , At this point I'm just washed out. While my throat still hurts I can swallow now. Worst sore throat I can remember having. Every night I swallow my vitamin pill with orange juice. It was like taking a torch to my throat not to mention the coughing fit that followed. The best remedy for sore throats is Ginger Ale ice cubes. The cold numbs up your throat and the Ginger Ale approximates normal saline so it does not sting at all. Canada Dry is going to give me a seat on the board.

Thanx for the thought! 

Mike

@whart , I was in the public health service for 4 years in Haleyville, Alabama, 30 miles northwest of Birmingham. I met my wife there. I never got to see the exhibit in New York but I have a beautiful hardback of it with pictures of every bike.

The Monster is still the two wheeled riot act it was back then. I have a 2022 Diavel S. It is a sport bike for old men. 

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that the SME V can sound constrained, and that is a good description I hear with the Transfiguration Audio Proteus. Everything sounds on track in terms of tonal balance, it tracks well, and at the macro level dynamics and output levels are fine, but the sound lacks that bit of life that I want from the system. It is not that the sound is bad, it is very good, I just feel there is a bit more performance that can be had from the analog system. 

Does this mean an arm rewire will push the table over the hump? Does it mean a different cartridge for the SME? Or a wholesale replacement of the arm. That is the question I am trying to work out. I am still waiting on the completion of service for the Ortofon Verismo, and then I will put it on that table. I have a ZYX 4D that has gone to Australia along with my second MC2000 that I am having fit with a boron cantilever, but apparently Australia Post has lost it, or its having issues getting to customs. I sent it out on December 8th and it still has not cleared customs. My other cartridges are at a lesser level, a Shinon Red that Soundsmith retipped with one of their ruby cantilevers, and an Ortofon MC3000 II. The Ortofon MC2000 I have could go on it, but the original review by JGH showed an incompatibility when he put it on a SME V. 

So that is what I am trying to suss out, and the reason for this post. Arm pods and 12 inch arms really have nothing useful to add to the conversation as the SOTA tables can only accept 9 to 10.5 inch arms, and I am not setting a static pod on the cabinet with a table that is designed with a suspended sub chassis. 

Wise decision not to mate a SOTA with an outboard  pod, at least. My guess is any sensible change you make is going to make you happier with the SQ. It’s how we’re built. So don’t fret.

I never got to see the exhibit in New York but I have a beautiful hardback of it with pictures of every bike.

A group of us misfit bikers took the train to the Chicago and got a special showing at the Field Museum. A year or two later I went to see it again in Vegas during CES. Pretty amazing stuff!