iFi iPower X - hifi bargain?

I am shocked by how much better the iFi iPower X power supply is compared to the stock power supply that comes with the iFi iPurifier 2 coax re-clocker.

I use the iPurifier 2 to connect a Bluesound Node streamer to a Chord QuteHD DAC. I was having difficulties getting the two devices to sync properly via coax, and someone online suggested using an iPurifier to solve the issue. Turns out I had a BNC adapter problem that was resolved with a replacement. Once the adapter problem was fixed I actually thought the the Chord DAC sounded better without the iPurifier inline.

I was about to return the iPurifier 2 when on a whim I bought a 5V iFi iPower X to try with the little re-clocker. I honestly didn’t expect to hear any difference between the stock iFi power supply and the iPower X, but the improvement in sound quality with the iPower X was significant. Faster transients, more contrast between quiet and loud passages, more detail, better pace and timing and better musical flow using the upgraded power supply. My system just sounds more like live music with the iPurifier inline powered by the iPower X than with the stock iFi power supply or the Chord DAC alone. While YMMV, the iPower X and iPurifier 2 combination is one of the best tweaks I’ve made to my sound system, and the iPower X made it all work. It’s staying put for now, very highly recommended. What’s your experience?

Ag insider logo xs@2xknownothing

I have one shipping to me right now. I do have other audiophile LPS but needed an extra 12v power supply and thought to give this iFi X a try. If it gives any improvement over a stock SMPS then its a bargain considering the price.

I had exactly the same experience when swapping out the wall wart power supply on my fiber media converter boxes. It had an immediate and very noticeable positive improvement. I was shocked 

When I had the ifi zen, I upgraded to the X and the difference was night and day. I bought another one for my modem/router and that made another large improvement. I traded the ifi zen in for the ifi stream and the stream comes with the X. I think ifi makes some amazing products at a fair price. My stream is connected to a denafrips hermes ddc then to a pontus ii dac and I’m very happy with the sound quality. Has anyone tried ifi power cords? 

I have several aftermarket linear power supplies from MCRU and Swagman Labs powering my Chord DAC, Project phono pre, and even my Amazon Fire TV Box, and I am very happy with them all.  They allow experimenting with different power cords which also make a big difference.  I generally try to keep switching power supplies out of my system as much as possible to reduce noise, and the lps’s I have definitely improve the performance of the devices they are connected to.  But I am not sure any of the linear power supplies had as big of an impact as the iPower X had on the SDIF iPurifier 2.  And it’s a switcher, go figure.  Well done iFi.