Qobuz dropping rights to my favorites. A pox on their house (resubmit)

So, I favorite something on Qobuz, come back a few months later and SHAZAM. "The rights holders have not made this content available to listen." This seems to be a growing problem for me and I doubt I’m the only one. WTF?? To add insult to injury, I take a look at Amazon (to which I do not subscribe) and there it is.

Qobuz is the only paid service I use. Tidal has too much overlap to be worth it and I find MQA dubious anyway. Amazon’s march towards world domination is troubling and I just plain don’t like Apple stuff. But my partner uses AppleMusic (I think) and reports similar annoyances.

This leaves me both perplexed and annoyed. I’ve been slowly culling my CDs, LPs and server library with the assumption that streaming service libraries would grow, not shrink. That’s also in keeping with reminding myself to release my attachments to mere things. I’m coming to feel that this may be a grave error. In the realm of music what we don’t physically possess, be it CD, an LP, BR disk or a data file, we never really possessed at all, outside of our souls. But I’m not content to live off memories of how much I once enjoyed hearing something. I might want to hear it again! So, as far as web/streaming content goes I’m moving back to downloading stuff so it can’t be arbitrarily taken away.

Anybody else mad as hell and not gonna take it anymore? Bah, humbug!

And Happy New Year.

128x128kletter1mann

I've noticed titles which drop off usually later reappear.  I can think of some of Nick Cave's albums as recent examples of this.

It's a pain, I admit, especially when the favourite status is not restored.

I've seen the same thing.  Often I can search immediately and find the replacement - searching the track title seems to work better.

I've had a handful of titles disappear some return some don't. Doesn't bother me either way. I do both Qobuz and Amazon but listening is 90% Qobuz.

If I like a track, I buy the .flac file, usually from PrestoMusic.com. Occasionally, only a CD is available; I usually don't want all the tracks, so it is a rare occasion when I buy the CD.