Classical music newbie needs your suggestions

I purchased around 300 like new classical albums last summer. Music from a wide range of composers. I also purchased around the same amount of operas. (I may sell those).

I’m finally retired and able to pursue a lifelong desire to understand and enjoy classical music.

Pieces that move you to tears, or pluck heart strings. Your all time favorites.
The albums you’d take to that desert island.
Any suggestions are welcome.

128x1281111art

You might enjoy owning Mahler’s 2nd symphony "Resurrection" conducted by Gilbert Kaplan. The story behind the man’s determination to conduct a symphony orchestra is rather interesting.

See

I've been into classical music for decades and love it. Some personal favorites include pianist Sviatoslav Richter, and the Guarneri Quartet, especially their late Beethoven set that came out on Philips. A whole level beyond anyone in insight for me. Sandor Vegh and the Camerata Salzburg have a 10-CD set of Mozart serenades and divertimentos that's great. Bernstein's Schubert 9th and Unfinished (#8) symphonies with the Concertgebouw are special. Haydn quartets with the Auryn Quartet are wonderful.

Yes I enjoy the Guarneri Quartet also. Especially Mendelssohn string quartet #3. 

Don't forget Vladimir  Horowitz, the greatest classical pianist of all time and the best natural pianist of all time Glen Gould who said he only practiced once per week and when he was asked what he thought of Jazz, which I enjoy, he said it was a waist of some very good notes.

I've got an update concerning my Jones for Prokofiev's Third Piano Concerto. Try the performance by Marta Argerich on piano and Claudio Abbado conducting the Berlin Phil. Modern sound. Anger, energy and spirit to spare.