Protip: Using a sub? Plug your mains

Merry holidays, or drinking season, whichever you celebrate I support you.

For those of you with ported main speakers and subs, here’s a big tip: Plug your main speakers.

It will reduce the bass output, but also greatly reduce the movement of the driver below the port frequency. This combination increases the dynamic range, and reduces distortion, especially when used with a line level high pass filter. It also often makes integrating the subs easier thanks to less overlap. Use a sock, preferably yours and clean unless you are some weirdo. You don’t have to stuff the entire port length, just plug the end tight. I won’t be held responsible for those of you who lose their intimates inside their speakers.

erik_squires
Post removed 

It all depends on what you want.  I do not recommend filling the port or reducing the volume of your enclosure unless your speakers are poorly designed in the first place (or if they are designed to be optionally plugged).

I use a small REL sub using the high level inputs and turn it down (level and crossover) 'til it sound good.

Note:  I seldom listen above 70-75dB.  If you want louder with more thump I don't know what to tell you.

It all depends on what you want. I do not recommend filling the port or reducing the volume of your enclosure unless your speakers are poorly designed in the first place (or if they are designed to be optionally plugged).

Hey @kahlenz,

I think what few enough audiophiles understand is how much bass there can be from a pair of speakers once they are actually in a room, regardless of the specifications. We think we know based on the specs what is happening, but we don’t. Based on my experience as a speaker builder, and in-room measurements the advice I’m giving is solid, and best of all, easy to try and/or reverse.

This article I wrote may help some.