CDP caused tinnitus?

I have noticed over the past several years a bit of tinnitus developing. It seems to be aggravated by (naturally) listening to music, but I have narrowed it down even further...

When listening to cd music it becomes worse- even while listening to the first song or two.

But... when I listen to vinyl- no problem. No ringing, no nothing.

Any ideas on this? I have experienced it with two different cdp's in the system. The cdp's are older (Sony x7esd and another Sony changer for non critical listening) Think a new cdp would help? or what could be going on here?

RW
128x128rwbadley
RWBadley ... fairly convinced you're inventing scenarios ... which is too bad both for you and for those who suffer from tinnitus ... mine began several years ago ... in no way associated with music or loud sounds ... and today floats between noticeable and not-noticeable regardless of what I've been doing or am doing ... anecdotal on my part, and most certainly so on yours ... give it up, please
As someone who has had tinnitus on/off for several years, mine was only really noticable at night when I was trying to sleep. It had the sound of "motor hum" a lower frequency noise. Interestingly enough it has been less noticable in the past year. I never noticed that listening to music made it worse. In fact many people need a bit of background noise/music to help reduce the effect.
I've never hear that listening to music made it worse. If that is the case then I suspect that you have more of an inner ear issue.
Gerardff,

I also have the low freq motor hum. This one comes and goes and I haven't yet figured out the cause. Feels like around 70-100 hz maybe.

The issue I've most suffered is a high freq sound. I don't know the freq range, but seems like is more on the order of 6-8khz or like that. It becomes more intrusive during some music playback. It will then be more pronounced for a period of time then subside again.

I have time available in the next week and will be getting an overall health checkup. At that time I'll see if there may be a systemic cause or what.

Thanks to all for your well thought out replies.
Arkprof, from a sufferer of tinnitus (as you have stated) it surprises me that you are making such a statement. My wife is an audiologist with 10 years of undergraduate and post graduate training and another 15 years of practice. The idea that tinnitus may be set-off by certain audible situations (one of which could certainly be music/sound related) is not unusually rare, though not necessarily common either. Unfortunately, many people who suffer from tinnitus may simply be less congnizant of the situations preceding specific occurances.

On another note, I cannot sleep with my watch on, as the noise of the watch (with my wrist underneath) my pillow keeps me awake. I cannot hear my watch through just air when it is more than 12" away from my ear. If I am driving down the road during the summer with my window open, I can hear the power lines hum/buzz (if the lines are running next to the road). When I mentioned this to my wife she said this was impossible, that the noise from the open window in the moving car would overpower the hum/buzz from the power lines. She later tested my hearing in the sound booth at her clinic. She stated that I could hear certain frequencies at volumes that were lower than what normal human hearing should be able to discern. Don't get me wrong, I certainly am not one of those golden eared people that can hear super subtle differences, such as changing some cables (I can hear differences in some cases, just not all) or the difference when cables are on stilts vs. just on the floor. Also, I cannot sing worth S*#T, to me it always sounds like I am perfectly on key - but everyone around tells me I am no where close!
Now that you have a hearing complaint it would be worthwhile to have a hearing test. This might shed some light in your case. Further evaluation or reassurance might result.

And a baseline test could be very useful to you if later in life you have some other hearing changes.

We humans only have so many senses.