What Does It Take To Surpass A SME V?

Thinking about the possibility of searching for a new tonearm. The table is a SOTA Cosmos Eclipse. Cartridge currently in use is a Transfiguration Audio Proteus, and it also looks like I will also have an Ortofon Verismo if a diamond replacement occurs without incident. 

The V is an early generation one but in good condition with no issues. Some folks never thought highly of the arm, others thought it quite capable. So it's a bit decisive. 

The replacement has to be 9 to 10.5 inches. I have wondered if Origin Live is worth exploring? Perhaps a generation old Triplanar from the pre owned market?

Any thoughts on what are viable choices? 

neonknight

an sme is easy to beat why no azimuth

I am afraid that this is not entirely true, you can always make slight azimuth adjustments on SME V.

If not then throw away the cartridge.

Now, yes it is a hard to beat arm, not perfect but close.

Dear @neonknight : You can up-grade your " old " V with a new silver ( Audio Note UK silver wire.. ) internal rewirig that this time goes with connectors directly to your phono stage.

Other alternative and very hard to beat is that with the same recomended " treatment " look for the MAX -237 with the J removable headshell, an excellent tonearm.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

Just to throw another name brand into the mix, Reed tonearms are very good. Schroeder tonearms are also superb but have a reputation for long wait periods if you order a new one. I have no basis to claim that any tonearm is "superior" to the SME V, because I don't own one and have heard it only in audio salons and at shows, which experience I judge to be a poor way to choose gear.  Also, keep in mind that the cartridge (matching to the tonearm and SQ), the turntable, and the downstream system have everything to do with how we perceive the performance of a tonearm. Instead, I would look at features, like how easy is it to adjust overhang, VTA, VTF, azimuth, etc., along with quality of construction and design execution.

Having owned the SME arm as well as a Kuzma 4Point, I would recommend looking at the Audio Origami PU7. I personally feel it is better than the SME in every respect, and more musical than the Kuzma.

@neonknight 

I ran the SME5 for about 10 years. When I went to the Triplanar it was a revelation. So much easier to adjust! No issues with the arm tube resonating. Much easier to find cartridges that would track properly.

I have a Transfiguration mounted in it right now.