Why Is Hi Fi Gear So Darn Expensive?

Why Is Hi-Fi Gear So Darn Expensive?! - The Absolute Sound

Interesting read.

"I recently heard a small 2-way stand mount speaker at a show. The sound was excellent. The product was priced at $50,000 or thereabouts, per pair. Allowing for distribution and marketing leaves about $25,000."

$25000 for distribution and marketing? Really? That much more for this than a similar product at 1/10th the cost?

I don’t doubt the marketing cost per unit could be much higher with boutique products. Makes sense. Is the cat is out of the bag regarding the value proposition of boutique products?

How about fancy fuses marketed for free here that cost practically nothing to ship? Oh my!

I guess there are "excellent" expensive boutique products and others that offer value everywhere. Hifi not unique. Take your pick! Live and learn!

The article also chalks up people’s reactions to high-fi prices to emotion. What about the sound they hear? Real or emotionally distorted? What would Mr. Spock think about that? I know he likes music...he plays a harp!

128x128mapman

@fsonicsmith 

The trouble with the expensive watch analogy is that they require regular expensive servicing.  

When I sold my 20 year old Omega recently I had spent more on servicing than on the original purchase.

Hi-fi can require maintenance, but nothing like this.

The watch analogy does not work at all in the high end audio field. In high end audio cost is based on performance… not even remotely true in high end watches.

Before I retired I realized one of my aspirations, if I was successful in life was to own a Rolex. So, ten or fifteen years ago I bought a starter watch to introduce me to nice watches (I had used Seiko divers watch’s for decades because I was a diver). I was shocked at how bad it was at keeping time… it’s primary function. I got it adjusted, but found that one second per day was standard for all mechanical watches… $2K, $10K, or $25K. I was shocked and disappointed… and if you get a quartz movement Rolex… then you loose cashe.

I lived much of the time in Japan and China, flying back and forth a couple times a month. This was not a watch for me. All luxury goods I have purchased before, first and foremost outperform… that is their raison d’être. But not watches. I finally found a Seiko Astron which was tied to the clock from GPS satellites and automatically adjusts the watch to where you are. In Japan, if your watch is off 30 seconds, you get on the wrong train. Anyway, watches, not a good analogy.

High end audio first and foremost is about performance. 

Was it Julie Mullins from one of the legacy mags that recently described the trend of manufacturers targeting the "ultra" high-end? I know I commented on it, and thought it was here (though I'm not a regular reader of the magazines anymore).

In the early '70s, when I got serious about this hobby, everybody had a stereo system. It might not have been a great one, but usually TT/Receiver/bookshelf type speakers. 

Today, hi-fi is not just a niche pursuit, but a luxe goods product. Which allows a lot of room for profit- from the importer/distributor to the dealer and on to the consumer. The market will bear these costs to a degree but the enthusiast market, in my estimation, was never about how big the check was- it was the pursuit of building something excellent (whatever that means to you) over time--many of us gradually upgraded to get where we are after various systems that were probably more than "OK" to the average consumer. 

Part of it is simply consumer culture. An Hermes store opened on South Congress near me. For old Austinites (I don't include myself in that category), it is emblematic of the "new Austin."

A lot of the people I know who have long been deep in this hobby are not in the billionaire class- they are just ardent hobbyists who don't spend on boats, Ferraris, second or third homes, jet shares or whatever. (I read a funny thing recently that said that X was a product for people who ran out of things to spend money on). For some reason, I don't think hi-fi is even on that list for most people.

In short, we are nuts about this stuff- hi-fi bugs (I think I did keep the LP with that title and the art is photos of insects).

Respectfully,

@whart "they are just ardent hobbyists who don’t spend on boats, Ferraris, second or third homes, jet shares or whatever"

Regular people don't get to spend on boats and Ferraris ever. They may buy a new mid-size car once or twice in their lifetime.

95% of the people, including me are trying to pay their bills on time, and avoid penalties. We are not not billionaires, we have 0 money to spend at the end of each month. Spending $500 on gear is a magic trick we can pull once every 5 years or so, when the stars align.

@grislybutter -fair comment and my observations may be dated. At the time I came up, it was possible to buy really good hi-fi without being rich. I depended much on used cast offs from the flavor of the month club. Now, that may be out of time.

I made money when I worked, but I never considered myself rich. I lived well based on my choices-- today, it is probably much harder. I have no kids and as long as the basics were covered (the mortgage, the normal overhead, eating, etc.) I was good to go. Perhaps we live in a different world now. NYC was never cheap and I always felt "behind," but somehow I carve a good life out of it. Today, maybe that isn’t possible; I don’t know. I’m a retired NYC copyright lawyer who kept very busy when I was in demand and eventually decided the fast track was no longer for me. By the time I bailed, I was in my late ’50s. I’m now close to 70 and don’t regret a minute of it. I had a blast.