The revolution has begun!

Digital amps along with digital xovers are the future.....and you can have it NOW. I am not going to say that a $1400 Peachtree GaN1 amp will sound better than a $120K MSB Select, $145K Boulder Preamp and Bouder $250K mono blocks with $20K worth of cables in between (over half a million plus power cords and amp stands)......but it did beat the Holo May KTE with the Holo Serene Pre and Kinki B7 mono blocks with $1000 worth of interconnects ($13k). So what will it take to beat this $200 digital board from Elegant Audio Solutions powered from a $100 switching power supply? With a digital amp you do not need a DAC or a preamp or regular amp with feedback, tubes, or transistors. With digital amps you can bi or triamp your speaker drivers directly without the distortion of passive components. In fact, I would bet that if you bought two GaN 1 amps, bought the $600 digital xover from minisdp (with great linear supply and great coax cables) and biamped some drivers directly that it would sound better than most $50K systems. You could get 2 12 inch woofs and mount them on an open baffle and put a beryllium tweenter on top and set the xover to 1K or less (48db per octave). You hardwire your speaker cable to the woofers voice coil wires and use Music Purifiers and Ground Enhancers on each driver.....Bybee Clarifiers on the back of the woofer magnets.......speaker wires hardwired via plastic clamps into the amps (no binding posts or spades allowed here!). Of course, you can triamp.....and manufacturers will soon have powered digital speaker so all you will need is a source.

There will be other manufacturers designing and building digital amps that will (no doubt) be better than the EAS boards.....but they will come at a price. These, yet to be made digital amps will blow the industry wide open....as no more big heavy expensive boxes will ever need to be purchased......but what EAS has not is fantastic. When I do some mods to the Peachtree amp next month it should get a step or two better. Have fun!

http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/The_Audio_Revolution_has_begun.html

I have started a webpage about all this and more and will be updating it continuously.

ricevs

@ricevs 

I never got a pure digital chain working with power dacs all the way down. I couldn't figure out how to do it affordably. So I've always converted to analog after the digital crossovers and equalization and then went with regular class D amps or whatever solid state amp I had around. For a while I had the Panasonic receivers with PurePath power dacs and used them with a Behringer DEQ2496 but didn't do any crossovers, so it was just used with passive speakers. The Panasonics used Texas Instrument chips which I believe had no feedback. From what I can tell there is not a lot to be gained from the power dac concept but I continue to watch with interest. I love the idea, but a D/A converter before the amp can do an awfully good job of providing a clean analog signal, and a decent class D amp with switching power supply can do a bang up job of amplifying that signal cleanly. So there's not much going wrong there that needs remedy, and dacs may be easier to make work better at the line level than at the speaker power level. What I heard with the Panasonic was a very light and airy sound, which I came to realize later was the bass falling off due to lack of feedback. When I hooked up a JVC hybrid digital feedback amp to the same speakers it sounded a lot thicker and fuller with a LOT more bass. I've read they now have power dacs with feedback but I've yet to hear one. I suspect that if they can get the power response to match a standard analog input digital amp being fed with a decent dac it's going to sound very similar.

@bigtwin

But the final word was it doesn’t produce the sound of amps costing 5 or 10 times as much.

What is the sound of amps costing 5 or 10 times as much? Is it an accurate amplification of the input signal, more accurate or more capable of working into lower impedances and maintaining voltage at high current with ultra low distortion and noise than a mere $3000 amp? No, that doesn’t seem to be the case. If anything they add distortion - expensive distortion. And they usually look pretty cool, have some guru’s name behind and some lore about the wizardry and genius applied to the expensive amp. Dr. Earl Geddes said that when he worked on car audio systems they discovered that people actually liked their sound systems to distort when they turned them up. Without that distortion people didn’t feel like they could really get the system to play loud even if the playback was reaching dangerously loud levels! Some people like distortion, and will pay more for it, and because they have a positive response to it they call it "transparent" or "revealing" or some other positive word that describes their personal impression of the distortion. Something about the distortion allows them to suspend their disbelief better and perceive a more realistic sound. It doesn’t work for everybody. The rest of us just shrug our shoulders ’cause it doesn’t sound magically realistic or even particularly good to us, although often it’s still just fine. We’ve heard real instruments and these mega expensive systems continue to exhibit the same audible faults as much less expensive systems. I’ll be honest in saying that I’m disappointed that there’s generally no way forward with even with huge amounts of money to get past certain issues with audio playback electronics, but my ears have demonstrated to me that truth over and over again. To the people who are enraptured with the effects of pre-amps, patch cords and power cables they get the impression that the rest of us are all half deaf. We hear just fine. We just focus more on the major problems that are audibly obvious and not being addressed at all by these devices. It’s not just a simple case of diminishing returns. They’re actually not doing anything at all to address what I want addressed. But that’s ok, because I can come up with my own solutions that get me a little closer. It’s a tough nut to crack and it gives me something to work on.

@asctim Don't shoot the messenger.  I just thought it was a thoughtful review.  According to the OP, the amp in the review is not even the tech he's on about.  Guess it's all above my paygrade.  As it happens, I've made my bed with my end game system and I'm not about to toss it all and start over at this point.  Frankly, when the music sounds as good as it does on my old outdated tech, I just don't think I could appriciate any improvment.  Miles Davis is already standing in my room playing just for me.  What could this new tech do.  Have him standing a little closer to me?  🤣

@bigtwin I didn't mean to come across in attack mode! It's great that you've got what works for you. I have been happy with many systems in my past but always choose to try new things as I become aware of audible issues and decide to tackle them. It's a hobby after all! The nut I'm trying to crack lately is stereo crosstalk reduction from standard 2 speaker stereo setups and the resulting interference patterns and stereophonic degradation that occurs. Polk, Carver, and Bacch for Mac have provided solutions, as well as others. Up-mixers like Dolby Pro Logic are also an option. All interesting and partially satisfying, but I'm working on a slightly different approach that bears some resemblance to Polk's SDA. The direction this is taking me in is starting to look like a very large high fidelity sound bar, which is making me wonder if I'm just reinventing the wheel. Maybe I should listen to some of the better sound bars?

@asctim Season's Greeting.  I have reinvented my system about 3 times in as many years.  Thank you Covid lockdowns.  I have come to the realization that it's time to stop the insanity.  I'm embarrassed by the amount of money I have sunk into this "hobby" and feel it is now time to say DONE.  Well, this spring anyway when the final components arrive.  Prior to this, I went 20 years with the same rig and never had cause to complain.  Now I'm thinking about downsizing into my final house, one that will give me a 20' x 40' entertainment room.  Wait, didn't I just say it's time to stop the insanity.  🤣