Wiring 2 outlets to 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits with a single 10/3 electrical wire.

Here's an idea (and it is code compliant), using one 10/3 romex electrical wire (three insulated conductors, and a bare ground wire - 10 gauge), you can wire two outlets to a double pole breaker (and yes the legs would not be the same, which on a quiet electrical system is not a big deal).

In this situation, 2 hot wires from the outlets would be wired directly to each of the circuit breakers, the neutral would be bridged between the two outlets and then connected to the appropriate spot on the panel, and the grounds for each outlet would be attached to the single ground wire that goes back to the panel.  This would all appear within a quad outlet wall panel (ie. Two 20 amp outlets side-by-side)

For a long 70 foot run this seems prudent thing to do, less costly and kosher.

emergingsoul

I have both a AV system and a 2 channel system.  I have lots of external linear power supplies.  The stack of three on the left is now 4.  Plus one red one under the right side.  I have every port in my PP connected to a 2 channel sound component.  I have the AV system plugged into the wall.  It is always nice to have the wall outlets handy to plug in temporary things.  It just made sense to me to put in the large number of outlets.  I would feel silly putting in a dedicated outlet and then plugging a best buy power strip into it to power wall warts. 

Modern code will require CAFCI breakers, so this means you'll need to use a dual pole CAFCI.

My biggest concern is that you will bring 240 V side by side.  Legal yeah, but higher risk of a big short.

@emergingsoul ,

Don’t do it! Are you trying to save money on the wiring and installation? Not a good place to cut costs.

I can’t believe the number of posts I have read lately where audiophiles have used, or are considering using, this type of wiring method to feed their audio equipment. The reason for a multiwire branch circuit is save money. Period!

There may be 10s of thousands of dollars in audio equipment involved and the user chooses to save a few bucks by using this type of branch circuit wiring. Sorry, I just don’t get it...

Each Hot, (Ungrounded Conductor), must be connected to breakers fed from both Lines, legs, in the same electrical panel. Therein 240V between Lines, legs. (The 2 Hot conductors cannot be connected to breakers on the same Line, leg.)

Both breakers must be tied together with an Approved Listed tie to simultaneously open both breaker with one handle action. (A 2 pole breaker meets this NEC requirement. (New NEC 2008 requirement) .

Here is a YouTube video on multiwire branch circuits. LOL, sometime Mike Holt comes off a little like an air head but he is far from that. Holt is one of the members of NEC Code Making Panel. He’s one of many people that helps write the NEC...

I recently had three dedicated 20amp runs installed at the same time I had an updated 200amp breaker panel and ground installed. I used 12/2 Romex (for ease of running) with independent copper grounds, and had each run cut equal length. Siemens 20amp breakers were used with silver contacts, and one outlet (for the amp) is an AudioQuest NRG Edison and the other two are Hubbell 20amp medical grade.

Made a substantial difference, most notably noise floor and dynamics. Noise was decent before but now is so quiet. The whole system overall feels more free and effortless. It made a bigger difference than some major components in my experience. And keep it simple. Highly recommend having an electrician do it, preferably someone who has done audio/visual in the past as they'll know exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

@tump350 Said:

One circuit for the digital front end, the other circuit for the preamp and monoblocs.

Would you believe all the digital hash going back out on the power AC Lines from the digital equipment is dumped onto the power transformers primary windings of the preamp and monoblocks? Only the unbalanced load(s) current of Line 1, (L1), to shared neutral, and Line 2, (L2), to shared neutral load(s) current return on the 3 wire multiwire branch circuit neutral conductor to the neutral bar in the electrical panel. All of the digital 120V Line to neutral loads (jointed connection in the outlet box) is in series with the Analog 120V Line to neutral loads. The balanced loads are in series with one another and fed by 240V...