Review ATC SCM20PSL monitors 50 hours listening

My wife's system under construction consists of a Rega Apollo R CD player, Luxman 509X integrated and new ATC SCM20PSL monitors!  In burr magnolia.  They are gorgeous!  All electronics sitting on an IKEA two shelf bench.  I did mention system under construction....before anyone flames. That shelf will be corrected with a Quadraspire SVT stand.  Okay?

Even in this incomplete phase with the monitors sitting on no name massed 29" stands, they are incredible.  The Luxman grabs hold of them firmly and just drives them.  All control.  The ATCs are really quick, image well without completely disappearing and have controlled slam.  Nicely extended highs, beautiful midrange and tight bass easily revealing acoustic bass timbre.  One can easily differentiate between Eddie Gomez, Edgar Meyer and Charnett Moffett.

She is having great fun with it even if Bon Jovi recordings mostly sound, well, marginal to be honest.  Heresy I say, but it's her system.

Zavfino Prima power cables, Decware ICs, Mojo Mystique 3 DAC, Duelund speaker cables, Decware ZLC power conditioner.

celtic66

I’m gonna be sorry I replied to this, but @kenjit what speakers do you actually like? If you’ve never seen an ATC midrange driver out of the box then you’ve no idea what makes them special, and since your ears appear to be failing you maybe you should take a look at an ATC driver.  The magnet structures of their midrange drivers are larger than the woofer drivers in many speakers.  BTW, there are no measurements to prove your superiority either.  I’ll take your uninformed comments for exactly what their worth.  Nada. 

Kenjit

I very much enjoy your posts, they are a visible display of the "buy in" to the marketing effort called "specs". You are a real life Don Quixote!

You realize that manufacturers invest in published measurements to establish their marketability/salability (not their real performance). Any kind of acoustical measurements are relevant only to the space they are taken in, in the conditions they are taken.  I guarantee you that any space you use would not be similar to their space, making their specs meaningless to anything other than comparing their product to each other.

Brad

Thanks for sharing, @celtic66 

Does your wife listen to these near-field?  How big is the room. 

I'm shopping ATC speakers now, and I've always wondered how the pro monitors would sound in a more traditional audiophile configuration.

Room is a decently sized bedroom, so would say 12X20.  I’m on the road currently or I would measure it.  Strongly recommend really solid high current power and respectable front end.  The ATCs will chew up weaker offerings of unstable power. Enjoy.

Does your wife have an identical twin sister with the same interests? 😉