Goodbye CD's

Seems that Borders by me is unloading all their cd's..They claim they are just not selling...Im sure this is just the beginning of the end in the retail stores for cd's...can it long before cd's are gone completely? Many Ive spoken with including some dealers have mentioned this and said "the writing is on the wall" for cd playback..

I have been on the fence about going to a file data system for music, and have been eyeing a Squeezebox duet and setting up my hard drive to take the plunge..maybe now its that time??

Or..maybe just Im just a geezer in my heart of hearts and should just look for old and new Vinyl to keep me going...hmmm..I could be very happy with a mainly vinyl set up ;-)
128x128kehut
i burned all 1900 of my cd's to wav and flac, however holding them cause every once in awhile you find the rip had "noise" in it and have to do over

I use EAC for rip. I resisted PC audio for long time but given the state of outboard DAC's these days (which i was only using CD as transport anyway) why not? and to those who think 24/96 is voodoo, if it is just remaster, it is still a revelation in some recordings (i.e. check out Talking Heads in 24/96 compared to cd)
Love the irony of this post. Started in 2008 "sky is falling" no more CDs and they are as plentiful as ever, just not in B&Mortar stores. But no trouble getting any on Amazon.

Pretty much the same as vinyl. No as plentiful as the 80's but you can still get much of it on Amazon. Even stuff like Enigma, on vinyl!

I have all the vinyl I ever owned (but not played that much), and all the CDs. Computer storage is great but HDDs fail and software gets obsolete. Ever wonder what happens to all your old photos stored on the Windows 95 computer? Do you ever really recover all your old stuff when an old computer goes bust?

Re-ripping a CD collection would be a pain, but at least you have the backup if you need it. Downloads how do you replace them?

I do like the current digital players like the Bryston simply because bit perfect rips of my CDs (via dbPoweramp) sound BETTER than any CD deck south of Esoteric and even memory players. Given the costs, a decent computer, a USB thumbdrive, and the BDP-1 are hard to beat.
Well, I started this thread back in 08...and to date, I have NOT gone to a file playback system..I still like the physical cd and Lp medium. I also feel that the current Vinyl playback systems have really matured and become much better at high fidelity sound today compared to yesteryear. Cant say the same for CD playback however, many new cd players are very transparent to be sure, but to me they are just OK for sonics..the same for file playback as well. The recording is still the make or break sound of the CD to me and SACD just doesnt cut it, many cd's just sound more rich and textured by comparison, although they may not have the ultra transparency of the sacd, the best cd's to me still offer the more visceral and pleasing sonics. I went back to a now vintage CAL Tercet and Icon and cannot believe the sound. Its blows past my recently sold Oppo 105 in every way and is has much more bass drive and mid presence...although the highs on the oppo are a bit smoother..it is still not as satisfying to listen to as the Cal units.

Im staying cd's!