Dedicated Line - Things to consider

Hey all,

So…as far as building my system is concerned, I’m pretty much in a good spot for now with the components and cables. I can say I’m satisfied with the sound. But, as we all know, system building isn’t an action that can ever be completed, it’s a state we’re constantly in.

Right now I have few finishing touches left. 
1. Run a dedicated line 
2. Improve room acoustics

Wanted to solicit some thoughts on running a dedicated line. 
First of all, is it a worthy addition? What are the deciding factors? I realize all the appliances in the house 💩 into the power line, and I use a power conditioner for the source components. Amp is plugged directly into the wall. 
Here’s what I have in mind if I’m to go ahead and run a dedicated line - 14 awg solid copper wiring - any particular brand? 20A or 15A circuit? Is it worth running one for the amp and one for source components? Or is using one duplex outlet on a dedicated line sufficient to cover amp and source components? 

Would appreciate any thoughts based on experience and lessons learned…what would you do differently if you were to do it again? What improvements should I be expecting?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

128x128audphile1

Dedicated lines are a critical component in improving sound quality of your system.

You want two and using 10 gauge wire. One for your amp(s) and one for your power conditioner and the rest of your equipment. Beyond this, if you want go further you can get audiophile wire and do additional upgrades. But each time I have added a direct line the difference has been very substantial and cost effective. I have not gone beyond 10 gauge ROMEX. But that has been really worth it.

I don’t think I have ever heard of anyone that has disputed this outcome, as in everything else about high end audio.

@audphile1 Wow beautiful system and room, just looked at your profile page. We’re a general contractor out in California. Good advice from Carlsbad. We never run a single circuit if going back to the panel (home run) labor essentially the same to run two or more little extra for the wire and other breaker(s)’and  you can never tell what you might need in the future. Also right on upsizing the wire, same thing labors the same minimal cost on the larger conductors.I wouldn’t overthink beyond that, lotsa talk on here about some pretty far out stuff on this subject keep it simple. Good luck.

I don’t think I have ever heard of anyone that has disputed this outcome, as in everything else about high end audio.

@ghdprentice  , however there does appear to be plenty of dispute related to the best way to go about implementing this upgrade. 

All…thank you so much! Lots of good points on the dedicated line as well as on the surge protector.

And @immatthewj thanks for posting those links!

@bikeboy52 thanks for the compliments!

@ghdprentice I’m keeping this one simple - no audiophile wires :) just good quality copper is all I think I will need. 

I’m leaning towards 2 lines. That will allow me to connect monoblocks if I ever go that route, and keep the source separated from the amp(s). Will figure it out in the next month or so. Putting it all together into my plans for early 2023.

@audphile1    I agree two lines.  I have three lines - one for each Krell KRS200 and one for all the rest.  Make sure the new lines come directly off your supply board before supplies for the rest of the house.

I have never heard RF noise on this system.

Check your main earth and consider improving it, advised by knowledgeable contractor.