Goodbye CD's

Seems that Borders by me is unloading all their cd's..They claim they are just not selling...Im sure this is just the beginning of the end in the retail stores for cd's...can it long before cd's are gone completely? Many Ive spoken with including some dealers have mentioned this and said "the writing is on the wall" for cd playback..

I have been on the fence about going to a file data system for music, and have been eyeing a Squeezebox duet and setting up my hard drive to take the plunge..maybe now its that time??

Or..maybe just Im just a geezer in my heart of hearts and should just look for old and new Vinyl to keep me going...hmmm..I could be very happy with a mainly vinyl set up ;-)
128x128kehut
I went to HD music source about 1.5 years ago and have never looked back. So convienet, so nice!
When the needle hits the vinyl.....I must be getting old because I remember as a kid my mom not wanting to spend the extra dollar for the "stereo" version of my favourite Beach Boy album. We enjoyed those LP's, then reel to reel tape,4 track, 8 track, cassettes, and KABOOM--the CD was born, SACD (still awesome) DVD Audio, MP3 doesn't count, and now Hi res downloads. Surely they are working on he next big thing as I type. But, we all know, if it sounds good to you in the moment---that's as good as it gets. And sometimes it doesn't even have to be heard on each of our own awesome systems. When it sounds right-live or reproduced-you will know it.
It's funny, because I remember that sale. What's also funny is that this thread was started about five years ago and CDs still seem to be pretty common. Personally, I can't remember the last time I listened to a CD.
Perhaps I am just nostalgic but I still buy lots of CDs. I rip them to my server then I store the CDs away. I never sell any of the CDs I have ever purchased (even Milli Vanilli or Debbie Gibson), keeping it like a bit of personal history. Maybe one day my kids will go through my CD stash and have a good laugh.
Yes Tboooe!

I think of it like this

CD = Physical
Physical = Collectable
Collectable = potentially valuable

Some of my CD's / SACD's are now very valuable.

For those that doubt this - this this exercise.

Go to Amazon.com

Check out the price of the following CD's.

Thriller, Michael Jackson. SACD New = US$350 Used = $100

Avalon, Roxy Music. SACD New = US$500 Used = $100

UP, Peter Gabriel. SACD New = US$150 Used = $100

La Luna, Sarah Brightman. SACD New = US$650 Used = $335

Golden Years, David Bowie CD 24k collection = US$1000+

What are downloads worth? Nothing right?