Where does "MidFi" differ from "HiFi" or "LOFI"?

Given the vast range of product and costs thereof in this industry, I'm curious where the "break points" are between levels of fidelity?   Equipment can range from $100's to $100,000s+, so where is "MIDFI" vs. "HIFI"?

The ear hears from a range of 20-20,000HZ, but mid-range is certainly not at the 10,000HZ level. 

just curious what you all think.

128x128johnweiss

@dayglow : "To create a true HEA system ... a sufficient amount of financial resources are needed." This is more moneyphile spin perpetuated by the TAS/Stereophile editors/reviewers. They have set up a class system of peons/aristocracy where only the rich can afford the best audio gear - similar to the automobile industry. The most costly gear becomes status signifiers, rather like a Porsche compared to a Toyota. 

@kota1 : thanks for the Thomas Utube video about the iFi DAC! He is correct that today’s design/production can deliver a product at reasonable cost that is practically indistinguishable from so-called "high end" DAC’s! This is good news for the budget- conscious in search of excellent SQ!

@jasonbourne52 , I really liked that video too, i made me consider ordering an iFi dac out of curiosity. I have experienced the difference in going from a receiver to separates, huge benefit. I have experienced going from an untreated room with speakers adequately placed to being in a well treated room with speakers at the precise placement per dolby specs, huge upgrade. Power, cables, and source upgrades have been incremental. I know better performance is out there, the sad thing is no matter how much money you spend, it still isn’t a live performance and there is ALWAYS going to be better gear available in the future. Through exchanges on this forum I find many of the people who have achieved what they wanted did it through meticulous attention to every detail of their system, not necessarily an all out assault on high ticket items. The DIY experts here will likely blow away what is available in a lot of stores (see @phusis), but not many people have that same passion to build. Its funny because DIY and "high end" seem like at two ends of the spectrum.

There is another channel where the host reviews what I consider to be luxury items which is interesting as he compares a lot of the gear that is priced among the top 20% of the industry. If you watch this video use headphones:

“Where does "MidFi" differ from "HiFi" or "LOFI"”

Clowns to the left of me 

Jokers to the right

Here I am…..