Ditching Class A Amps due to Heat - Sort of a Poll

A discussion elsewhere about the future of Class A made me wonder how true one statement really is. So the questions are...

Have you done away with your Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

Will you be moving away from Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

Will you never buy a Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

I only have a class A/B unit that does Class A up to 6 watts with almost no heat so really can't speak for those who have used in the past or currently own and run Class A Amps.

brianh61

Really, this is a thing? I've been running Class A for years and it really hasn't had any noticeable impact on my home energy consumption over other amp classes or tubes. I'm currently run a Pioneer M22 which is 30wpc pure Class A and it would take a heck of a lot for me to move away from it. Each to their own though.

@yyzsantabarbara     No I haven't.  I am not looking much for upgrades any more and I don't go out listening to new kit.  After nearly 60 years, I'm in the lucky position that I love my system the way it is.  I occasionally buy a phono cart, mainly top-end Ortofon.  I changed my pre-amps 4 years ago from old Audio Research to vdH The Grail and Audio Research Ref 6.  Otherwise it's all old stuff.

I read Krell Solo 575 Mono Power Amplifier 575 Watt Amplifier features 'iBias'.  This is said 'to deliver the rich musicality of Class A amplifiers, the uncompromised dynamics of classic Krell amplifiers, and the efficiency and low power consumption of Class G and H amplifiers.'  Sorry.  I don't believe you can get something for nothing.  In their publicity Krell extol the virtues of Class A and pretend they are still building it.  Neither do I trust Krell since the D'Agostinos were fired.  The way that was done suggests the new owners are bad guys not to be trusted.

In 2015 they cost $22,500/pair.  Not a lot, in the context.  Fremer's 2015 review was 'equivocal', although Atkinson found it measured 'impressively'.  For those that are concerned, the power supply isn't stiff; output doesn't double up down to 4 ohms, let alone 2.

The minimal amount of heat from a class A amp is equal to 4 x 100 watt light bulbs approx. no big deal and since I love the sound I see no reason to ditch the amp becauseof heat, unless one wants a new toy for the sake of a new toy.  

The cost of elctricity in my area is 12.5 c per kw hour.  Multiply by .4 kw and my amp costs 5c per hour to run.  I am more than happy to put another nickel in the slot every hour :) 

Maybe class A amps will become more popular when homes are mandated to have non fossil fuel or natural gas heating. 

Compared to a 36.2 kw electric furnace .4 kw ain't nuthin.