Ditching Class A Amps due to Heat - Sort of a Poll

A discussion elsewhere about the future of Class A made me wonder how true one statement really is. So the questions are...

Have you done away with your Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

Will you be moving away from Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

Will you never buy a Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

I only have a class A/B unit that does Class A up to 6 watts with almost no heat so really can't speak for those who have used in the past or currently own and run Class A Amps.

brianh61

Shrinking audiophile market jimrobie? I think you’ll find the opposite if you talk to dealers here in the US. Tube gear sales has increased considerably and I’m pretty sure audiophiles aren’t worried too much about energy efficient systems. I buy energy efficient cars, refrigerators, dish washers, light bulbs but am not too concerned with my music system. I will listen in the dark if I have to. It’s too good!

I loved my Chinese Class A amp. It sounded better than the un-rebranded Sophia A/B I have now. (B.T.W. - Sophia's profit margin on these Chinese-made amps is huge!

after a good 45 min of jamming some motorhead, onslaught, sodom, Y&T, vicious rumors, the ol monos' get pretty darn hot. its nice in the winter, not bad in summer, they are A/B not A, but they sound oh so sweet!

weight not an issue.

wasted heat , don't care,

wasted 3 volts of electricity,..hahahahah don't care

burn baby burn. the heat is what helps with the sound out of the speakers, sounds sooo good! gary and Vinnie Moore, Schenker, Derringer, UFO, Holy Moses, sound soooo damn great!!!

when nice and hot, means everything is wicked, will sound better, to me it does, 

then some Donovan, john denver, spooky tooth, Kim Simmons, teslas first

sounds awesome.

Great Question! 

I had a pass labs xa25.  Loved the amp but it was = to having 4 60 watt light bulbs on.  Yes there was heat and yes I didn't like it because I was running my AC in the summer while a small heater was on.

The sound was great and likely at some point in the future I will get another one but only for a sound diff.  I switched to SPL S1200 power amp which runs cooler than the SPL Preamp!  

JH

Hot amps are more likely to catch fire.   Here is Art Dudleys humorous account of an amp catching fire in his house .