Ditching Class A Amps due to Heat - Sort of a Poll

A discussion elsewhere about the future of Class A made me wonder how true one statement really is. So the questions are...

Have you done away with your Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

Will you be moving away from Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

Will you never buy a Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

I only have a class A/B unit that does Class A up to 6 watts with almost no heat so really can't speak for those who have used in the past or currently own and run Class A Amps.

brianh61

@zufan 

You wrote, 

Somehow Biden is involved in Class A discussions.

Indeed. Sort of Tourette's syndrome -- how he lives rent free in the coconut shells of creatures unable to control their distemper.

Have you done away with your Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

Will you be moving away from Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

Will you never buy a Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

Thanks for chiming in. With your selection, it is still more than 5 to 1 in favor of Class A over anything else in this thread.

@brianh61 Just to be clear, my response to the above questions are all 'no'. Your response to my post (also above) suggests to me you thought otherwise.

I replaced my class A triode OTL amps because I have a set of amps that sound better.

If a lot of people prefer the “class a” sound but would be happy not to have the heat or electric bill, maybe there is a market for a class d amp voiced with 2nd and 3rd harmonics to sound like “class a”??

The KRELL XD lineup does not get hot, about the same heat as the Benchmark AHB2. The KRELL is Class A using an iBias method to keep temps low. The AHB2 sounds like a Class A amp too (better to some ears).

we have tested many class d amplifiers in our store hypex ncore and

gain and a few others none sounded as good as class a/b amplifiers

the first class d amplifier that really was exceptional and truly musical is the Avik amps they are built with novel noise reduction technology and their u180 integratedis shockingly good as both an amplifier and dac the amp is musical and engaging

so far the t+amplifiersclass a/b are still our favoritesthe avik in our second show room is becomming anew favorite for a more affordable integratedamp/dac combo